1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

whats wrong with my kawi...I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chris G, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

i have posted about 3 threads already just to try to fix my problem but still i am having the same issue. today im mowing and its about 92 degrees and the grass im cutting is particularly high however i am cutting it in 2 passes so it shouldn't be a problem with bogging down the motor. after i started it up i worked for about 15 minutes before the engine suddenly lost power and shut down. than i would start it right back up and it would take about 2 passes and cut out. i also noticed that with the blades off when i wasnt driving around my rpms fluctuated rapidly upppppppp and downnnnnnnnnnnn and so on.
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

fluctuations like that are usually a dirty air filter or water in the carb.
  3. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

ive heard people talk of a little solenoid that can sometimes cause this problem too....could this be th eproblem or no
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

try posting in the mechanics forum. there are some very knowledgeable guys there that can help you out. restrorob is the first that comes to mind. goodluck.
  5. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

My initial thought would be fuel starvation. This could be a partially blocked fuel filter or dirt/dust in the carb' bowl. With the heat you're experiencing there could be a fair amount of evaporation. All the more need to make sure the fuel supply is 100%. Check condition of fuel lines, no tears/leaks. Does it have a fuel tap? Make sure the fuel is flowing from the tap by disconnecting the fuel line from it. Blocked up fuel tank cap? Is there a cut out solenoid on the carb? Could be defective.

Have a quick check of these items. First line of attack :dancing:

atb Phil
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

My first thought is a blocked vent hole on the fuel cap, unscrew the cap all the way and then just barely screw it back on. Now give it a try, this would be a easy fix, I have this problem from time to time. Could be just a dirty air filter or fuel filter but my bet is on the fuel cap.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking about the fuel cap issue as well. What engine does your machine have?
  8. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

it has the 23 hp kawasaki fh680v
  9. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

my old JD's used to eat a fuel cap a year, try loosening it first, it may also be your air cleaner, Kawi's DON'T like dirt at all!!
  10. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Did you put the large kohler fuel filter on it. Lowe's / Home Depot is still open. Is the fuel filter still empty when it shuts down?