Whats wrong with my lawn??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by greenscapes inc., Jun 20, 2006.

1. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

These are not the best picture, I took them with my phone. I cant get this lawn to green and thicken up. I have aerated, fertilized and sprayed it but it never seems to get nice and green and thick. It seeds very low and even after cutting it you can still see the seed. Please let me know what you think I can do to help this lawn.

lplawn.jpg

lplawn2.jpg

lplawn3.jpg

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

That last picture is picture perfect IMHO...what the hell more do you want???:dizzy:

3. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

It may just need a feeding. Pet spots are nice and green.

If another fertilization doesn't help, take a soil sample....

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, that lawn looks pretty decent but likely you just started the maintenance program this year or last year and the key is consistent maintenance over time:

Not to ruin your enthusiasm but you're doing the right thing it just takes time so keep doing whatever you're doing but you might consider throw down some Lime and also this stuff it is like a clay buster but some people call it Calcium (both Lime and Clay buster contain calcium but it is a different calcium) anyway you probably need Calcium it wouldn't hurt to throw some down next time around.

On the lime, always throw down one bag of lime for every 10 percent of fertilizer, so if you're using 34-0-0 then 3 bags of lime per bag of fert and so on. This is because the magnesium in the lime helps activate some inert ingredients in the fertilizer, also you might consider a few bags of Ironite but anyway just keep doing what you're doing, you'll be fine in another 6-12 maybe 18-24 months it will keep improving, you will see.

5. greenscapes inc.

from Utah

Thanks for the response. The lawn to me does not look that good. The property manager wants the lawn to look like a golf course. I have tried a few different fertilizers but for some reason it wont thicken up. I will try some lime next time and see if that does the trick.

6. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Try overseeding with a slit seeder, at the end of summer. That will get the lawn to thicken up tremendously. Use newer grass cultivars that are genetically bred for a darker green color.

What kind (brand and composition) of fertilizer and at what rate are you applying?

Also, what is his watering schedule? If he wants a golf course lawn, he is going to need to water daily.

And blow the grass off the sidewalks for pete's sake.

Kevin

7. richarfg

richarfg LawnSite Member

As you have read from other readers, the grass looks pretty good to me. I would like to say something in regards to lime; as you probably know, lime is used to increase the pH of the soil. In the southern climate where I live, Oak tree leaves put tanic acid in the soil and lowers the pH, but lower pH can be derived from other trees and means. Our county agriculture agent has said that to attain a perfect ph in our area, a person would have to distribute 4000 lbs of lime per acre! The lower pH causes problems much more serious than inability to grow...it creates an environment for wild strawberrys, Virginia Buttonweed, and other trash grass. You can check your soil with a soil pH meter to see what you have. It appears that this isn't your problem, but I did notice some dark spots in the grass which may be mold. Mold is another problem in this humid invironment. Are you "over-watering"?

8. greenscapes inc.

from Utah

I dont know if the dark spots are mold or from dog urine. The pictures are from 7 days worth of growth, they have not been cut yet, that is why the sidewalks are not blown. I am thinking of overseeding to see if that helps. Then rest of the property looks great but its just these two sections of grass that I cant get looking good.Thanks for the replies.