Whats Wrong With MY Striper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daner, May 15, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

What a,m i doing wrong here...I just made this striper and she,s not stripen:dizzy: ...I have never striped before so i,m a little green on the whole deal...but i think i know what i,m doing LOL
    mAYBE I STILL DON,T HAVE ENOUGH PREASURE ON THE FLAP???
    oR SHOULD I TRY THE CHAINS?

landscape 021 rubber striper2.jpg

2. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

that thing looks like enough pressure to lay grass down. my question is how do you go in reverse with that, doesn't look like it would bend in. How thick is rubber?

100_0194-2.jpg

3. Daner

It folds right back when you back up ...I first hac it set so it was just skimming the floor here in the shop ...thinking that backing up would be a problem...but there is no problem with it folding back/ forward...and no turff damage...so that part is ok...the rubber is 3/8" thick
    maybe i,m cutting too short?? at 3" and 3.5"

4. Daner

5. DynaMow

i have never used rubber flap, I made mine out of chains and rod. That pic of my stripes is cut @ 3.25". Your seems thick enough and enough pressure, not sure why it is not more defined then that. What kind of grass is in that pic of yours?

6. Daner

It,s Kentucky Bluegrass
    Do you have a picture of your chain striper craig??
    I was going to make mine from chain... but i figured i needed over 30 ' total...with 17"peicies...the flap is alot lighter... i will get it one way or another...thanks for the help

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You are mowing back and forth on your passes correct? And the spacing and overlap of the passes- don't overlap the deck over the previously cut pass more than a couple inches. In the lawn picture you posted it looks like you're going back and forth, and not overlapping too much so I'm clueless... with KY Blue you ought to get pretty good stripes even with a stock mower... It looks more like a zoysia (what we call it here) or some sort of creeping bentgrass, in the picture.. which are southern grasses and don't stripe at all for anything . But I'm clueless why its not working at all... hmmmm...................

8. DynaMow

I am with you on this. So lets get simple. Deck pitch 1/4" drop from back to front, is where the stripe starts. 3-3.5". All should be ok w/o any stripping kit. For mine kit just enhances an already good strioing mower.

If it don't stripe w/o a kit, it won't stripe with a kit. Starts with type of grass, finishes with type of mower.

I will take pics of mine, but I do not suggest my exact design for your machine and will explain why when I post.

9. Daner

how does the deck pitch have anything to do with striping??...so your say that haveing the deck1/4" lower on the front gives a stripe??

10. Daner

Yaa i,m mowing back and forth on the passes...the lawn in the picture is just getting up to par...it was in bad shape at the beginning of the yr.
    I just checked my deck hight and yaa its set 1/4 " lower at the front
    How i cut that lawn ...i cut out the perimiter 2 passes race track style...then went back and forth throwing the cuttings onto the just cut side