Whats wrong with my truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by weed wacker 2, Dec 22, 2009.

1. weed wacker 2

weed wacker 2 LawnSite Member

I have a bad shake in my truck over 50mph. It shimmies at low speeds but you can really feel it at higher speeds. The tires are brand new and my front end just got aligned not too long ago. Is there a possibility of it being a u joint?

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Anything in the front end is possible. Check your tie rod ends, u-joints, etc. What kind of truck is it? Is it 4wd? If it is, then there's driveshaft and t-case issues to be looked into as well. I'd begin by checking the parts that connect the wheels to the steering sytem: tie rod ends, steering box, etc. Good luck.

3. JawZZ

JawZZ LawnSite Member

Make, year and model?

Start with the easy stuff.
    Make sure your lug nuts are tight.
    Could be a bad or unbalanced tire.
    Check all steering and suspension components.
    Last time I had a u-joint going out it would "clunk" when first taking off.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  4. Lawn Man Dave

Lawn Man Dave LawnSite Senior Member

double check the torque on the lug nuts (make sure they are still tight). Then hack the truck up and grab the tire on each side (one had to the left of the wheel and one to the right) and see if the wheel has any play..... with the steering locked it should not move at all.... if it does have movement look under the truck at the suspension for that wheel and you should be able to see what is moving.

I know ball joints and tie rods tend to shake above like 60mph... the ones I have driven with them bad seem to be ok at low speeds though...

Also make sure the tire is mounted right..... some have an arrow showing direction or rotation... make sure it is not backwards. Also sounds like the wheels may not have been balanced right with the new tires...

5. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

It could also be a slipped belt in your tire. Jack it up and spin your tire and see if you have any lumps on the tread surface.

Let us know what you find out.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Bent rim? Mud or snow packed into a rim?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wheel bearings, too.

8. weed wacker 2

weed wacker 2 LawnSite Member

The vibration existed when I had the old tires on it. It is a 06 f250 with the 6.0. The vibration goes through the whole truck. You cant feel it in the steering really. It makes the seats and everything else shake. It seems to get worse when I am pulling something.

9. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Its just how they are. Didn't you get the letter from ford about it like 6 months ago. I know I did but I bought my 06 f350 new.

10. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i vote check the driveshaft

most of those trucks have carrier bearing assy (2 pc rr shaft)
    , with a rubber boot that can wear out over time and can lead to
    some drive train vibes-- or it could need to be shimmed
    to proper angle