What's wrong with the flow?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Team-Green L&L, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Can anyone tell me why we can't get enough water to flow from this pond? We're using 2 5000 gph pumps, but it flows real weak. I've looked over the design several times and can't see the issue.

It is 1400 ft sq and has 3 falls. It sits 17 ft. above ground level.
    Depth is 3-4 ft.
    I don't recall what size the boxes were. That's a good Q. It was put in at the beginning of last season and we just got the call.

Teller Pond 05-15-06.jpg

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

pictures would be helpful. if not we need more details

length? width? depth of stream, pond, size of skimmer boxes, how much raise, etc.

3. Team-Green L&L

I have updated the post

4. Team-Green L&L

Oops, wrong project. I'll have to track down the pics. This feature came out fine. I am a little confused right now. That's what happens when you don't get out there with the guys everyday.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if its something that just surfaced now the problem could be clogged pumps. I have seen a lot of pumps that suck in algae or leaves, sticks, rocks, etc. then they block water flow and the flow rate suffers as such.

6. Team-Green L&L

I hope it's that simple. I have to meet the client tomorrow. I hate going back to a jobsite! The client always blames you for some crap Mother Nature did.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Yeap always check suction side first when flow is an issue.

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

if u have 2 5k pumps per hour that makes it 10k gal per hour divided by 60 in makes it 166 gal a minet which is not that much with such a big fall plus u have to factor in the drop in gal per hour due to pipeing and such so u could be getting as little as 150 or less gal per min and now the falls are gummed up with dirt and such and look like less is flowing good luck and get some pics

9. Team-Green L&L

Thank you for the feedback. We have only been doing water features for 2 years and, I have to say, I won't be promoting them this year. I will sub that work out to someone with more knowledge than we have.

10. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Dusty nailed it right on the head. If you used pumps that are only rated to flow 10k gallons an hour and you're asking them to deal with 17 ft. of head pressure, on top of what ever frictional losses in your system, it's no wonder you're not getting an impressive amount of flow out of those waterfalls. Did you use high-head pumps?
    Those waterfalls have a lot of weir to fill which just makes your problem that much worse. I'm pressed for time, so I can't elaborate. Gotta run.

Vic