whats wrong with the grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshua, May 8, 2001.

1. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

it hasn't rained here in over a week and a half, yet i'm still cutting everything at 4 to 6 days and taking 2.5 or 3 inches. i keep telling myself its gunna slow because lack of rain but its showing no sign, now its gunna rain today, maybe all day they say, but even after that no rain all week or weekend. this is crazy if i keep cutting at this pace. i hope its as good for you boys as it is for me.

oh yea, i'm not cutting weeds all kentucky blue.incase you were wondering.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Up here in Eastern Washington, we haven't had a bunch of rain. We probably haven't had rain in maybe 3 weeks but my lawn grows like a weed. No, it isn't all weeds, but it just grows EXTREMELY fast. LOL. My area is considered a desert so go figure. LOL. Hope you guys get some rain!

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't say you are in a drought without rain for a week and a half...I dont think there is a problem with the grass...grass doesn't need rain everyday...(And I assume your accounts water their grass don't they?)

4. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

It hasn't rained in over a week here either. Joshua, what equipment do you use?

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

none of my customers water their lawns, i should of posted that when i started this thread, sorry.

currently i am using a 48" metro mp and a 52"lazer z both by exmark.

just had a full day of none stop rain, just a drizzle the whole day but it was what the lawn doctor needed.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I've got mostly KY blue here too and being its a cool season grass it likes to grow in moderate temps (under75f). Cool nights produce morning dew which is rain. If you have clay soil it will hold moisture for a long time as opposed to sandy soil. KY blue likes a blast of N in April. KY blue is pretty tough stuff and it takes quite a bit of sun and heat without rain to make it go dormant. Come August, you won't be taking that much off every 4-6 days unless the temps are the same as they are now. Good Luck