Whats wrong with the larger Honda engines??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jonspolaris, Sep 8, 2002.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

I know many of you have commented that the larger Honda GX motors are not that good. What is wrong with this engine?? I thought that the bigger engines were just like the smaller ones, except they were larger. If they arnt relable then wouldnt that hurt the honda name??

thanks

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I was doing a search and I thought I would bring this question back from the "dead".

So what's the deal? Are the Honda V-twins no good or what?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

From what I've read here on Lawnsite the parts for these engines are expensive and hard to come by.

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Here Honda engines are great. They start all the time, 100º or -20º, and seem to run forever. The only problem I have found is in getting parts when you need them. If you're lucky, you'll get what you need in a week. And often that 50¢-piece-of-plastic part isn't sold by itself; it only comes with a $100 part of the engine.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The above are correct. Getting parts is expensive and takes forever. How many of us can afford for a larger motor to be down for a week+ for a small part?

6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

With that kind of reputation, you'd never know they build some of the best, most reliable motorcycles and automobiles in the world.

7. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Parts is the problem. Reason is there is not alot of larger honda motors on equipment so not alot of dealers out there to get replacement parts. That and most parts are not in a warehouse in the US so in comes the overseas shipping crap. Kohler and Kaw motors are in alot of equipment so the parts aval is higher.

Honda motors are ok but to me Honda has let the US down by not keeping enough US stock of parts in the US. Oh and dealing with Honda manufacturer reps is a pain too. Just ask 65Hoss.

Honda prices to me are just like John Deere. you pay more for the name imprinted on the label than the part.

Personaly I won't own another Honda small engine unless it's a 5.5 or smaller. There are plenty of them being sold so the parts stock should be better.

Scot