What's wrong with the pool ya got?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RockSet N' Grade, May 2, 2008.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Happy homeowner fired their contractor and hired us to put a fibreglass pool in this hole. It's a start over with the added feature that we have constant ground water. Dug down to a firm bottom, layed mirafi 600 down, 12"-18" of gravel with mirifi on top. Along with that we added a pumping system, upgraded their electrical panel to handle a pump 24-7 while we do the job. Will post more magic as the project progresses. Crane and backfill this coming Monday. Bottom has to be graded within 1/4" of their finish bottom specs......doing that tomorrow.

DSC00856.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

DSC00861.jpg

DSC00864.jpg

2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Don't you just love working in the mud!!!!!!! Hy ! wheres the rocks at? I got a few mud pictures also for this week.

Whats with the 5 gallon bucket in the middle of the pool.Place to set and watch the water being pumped:).

I see you got your new tilt a whirl on the excavtor and at work:cool2:.

So why did they fire the other contractor? Or did he just quit and they told you they fired him:confused:Good luck

3. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Nice touch with the little nylon strip holding the thumb up,what gives there:)??? and is that osha approved:usflag:

4. RockSet N' Grade

The beautiful red nylon strap is an over-the-shoulder-boulder-holder for the thumb since I diverted hydraulic to the tilt bucket. Its so the thumb doesn't droop.......Haven't put a locking mechanism onto stick to hold it in place yet. First excavator had no clue and just layed sand on top of muck and said it was ready........anyone with a pulse bought equipment last couple years, and I think this was one of them....Interesting question about rock work.......trucking prices are so high right now, no one is bringing in boulders for walls because of cost. Also, the pits in the mountains are barely opening up because of all the snow this winter. Prices are all over the map if you can even get product. Welcome to hyper-inflation. I called for prices the other day at supplier and asked for a price sheet........they just chuckled and said prices are changing daily, so better call to lock in a price which they will hold for one week. Dinosaur juice just hit $4.25 here today....can't wait to see what it is tomorrow morning when I stop to get coffee and asprin. So, long story short......rock wall jobs are on hold for another bit of time. Got some dandy ones lined up.......a real custom patio with stepped planters and stairs and a re-do hillside wall for a bank that repo'd the house. I just got "in" with this bank and they have a boat load of work........no price shopping, just git-er-done fast and quality........

5. RockSet N' Grade

Oh yea......forgot.........what's osha anyways? Isn't that the name of killer whales?

6. RockSet N' Grade

side note: there is work out there! Picked up a $5k, $3,800, and a $2k job yesterday. We are now going 6 days a week.....not much rock retaining or patio work......more rehab work on existing older homes. Talked with an appraiser last night: no new subdivisions going on, lots of re-fi on $250k homes and down, $300k and up there is no activity.

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

That machine is set up perfectly with thumb and wrist. What make and model is it. And, what fiberglass pool are you installing there? We're a Viking Pools dealer, just curious.

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

That must be one heavy tilt bucket!

9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

Yuck! Hope that stuff doesn't dry on the machine before you wash it off!

10. RockSet N' Grade

Pressure wash after each day......don't like dried goo! OCD (formally known as BobCatRon) - yea, the bucket is a tad heavy, especially because of the quick coupler and you have said that before - and I have listened....but what is a poor boy to do? Machine slings it just fine fully loaded and side extended with heaped goo, I figure its better than no tilt at all. JohnnyRoyale.......it is the PERFECT machine......now I know some may disagree on a technical level, but it is paid for.......and that to me makes the perfect machine. It is a Gehl 802 which I have almost completely rebuilt ( that is another story in itself).