what's wrong with these Lantanas?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by wildstarblazer, Jul 20, 2012.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Been noticing a lot of Lantana looking bad lately. Was real dry and then we got some good rain lately. No blooms and the stems break right off easily. Petunias are mixed in there too.

lantana.jpg

lantana-2.jpg

2. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm missing the lantana--
    you mean the dusty miller?

3. TX Easymoney

i think I can see it in the second photo---

4. TX Easymoney

I vote mildew, check to see if you have aphids or any insects on it--

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Sunlight burning the leaves... I've been getting that on a lot of plants with some of them being scorched white... The solar flares are no joke this summer...

6. Uhmmm...last time I checked, lantana is a full sun, drought tolerant plant....
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Yes indeed. Likely too much water.

8. I'm also going to vote for too much shade....hard to see in that pic where the lantana actually are, but if it's where I think it is, it could be getting too much shade. I have a property that had all new landscape put in right when I started the maintenance. The idiot contractor put lantana right under some decent sized live oaks. After a couple months, all the lantana thinned and died.....full sun means full sun
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have a site where 60 were planted in full sun. There was an ommision of irrigation as well. Needless to say more than 2/3 of them died in the first season, maybe even 4/5. However those that remain, over 7 years later are thriving through our Texas summers including a very bad drought and heat wave last year.

10. Well, every plant needs to be properly watered at installation until establishment. I have yet to lose plants I install as I strictly tell the customers to water all the time.
    Posted via Mobile Device