Whats wrong with these trees?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DBL, Apr 2, 2008.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

Just wondering if anyone can tell me whats wrong with these trees. My brother took these pictures and from what hes telling me one is one a dogwood and he cant tell the other tree. It is peeling the bark off and just doesnt look good. Thanks

2. DBL

and one more...

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Can't tell from the pic, but in my old ChemScape days, we called it "old wood rot"....many species, but they all boiled down to the same thing. Pagoda dogwoods have opposite branching, while other dogwood trees are alternating. Probably doesn't matter much cuz what you have there is a small tree in "decline" with "wood rot" (generic term -- depending on the species & area). Eventually, the homeowner will need to replace this valued tree. Too bad, cuz hardwood trees take a long time to grow.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely. And let's read this a little bit. The moss (mainly the old moss) tells the story. Extreme dampness and moisture,...even a drainage situation, now. To prolong the life of these trees, a few things need to be done. First, all the old rotting bark and wood needs to be peeled off (partially scraped, as well) take as LITTLE as the good bark off as possible. If the wet rotting bark is left to stay, it will invite pests and parasites that are drawn to this (great for laying eggs and fore pupa). Galls, beetles, borers, and the like. Another thing, is that these damaged areas should be monitored and checked for drainage. It is possible now that water can actually "pool" in these areas. If this is the case, they should be irrigated. this is done by cutting slits on the sides through the bark to allow drainage. The damage caused by this is by far outweighed by the benefit of allowing it to drain more readily dry. A fungicide/sealer can be applied, and certainly an insecticide that is labeled for mites won't hurt (applied at the proper time). Depending on the value of the trees to the customer, an arborist may be recommended.
  5. DBL

thanks both of you guys
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I have a similar situation with a dogwood tree in my front yard. Not sure what can be done. I do know it's not in a wet climate or in highly saturated ground. Is there anything I can add to the soil root area to help kill off whatever it is that's on it.
  7. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

What you have there my friend is some Lichen - a symbiosis - two or more organisms living together in which both are more successful within the partnership than they would have been if they were living on their own.

DLB - yes you have some rot going on - possibly from a old canker. The 4th picture is lichen.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Matt, thanks for the response. How can I treat this? What to use and where to get it? I don't want to loose the tree, it still flowers and complements the front yard. Any suggestions? thanks for the help....
  9. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

ALC---what Matt is saying is that if you remove the organism from your tree (the symbiosis), it will probably start decling FASTER than if left alone.