1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

whats wrong with these wave petunias

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Aug 24, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we have one flower display of tidal waves that all of a sudden stopped blooming and have gotten leggy.( I have never had waves get leggy) All of our other displays are doing ok given the excessive precip and limited sun this summer. We've been folar feeding them about every 2 weeks with Peters Superbloom (10/60/10) which we've always used and had good results.

I'm about ready to cut them back and fert them again .

Anyone else having this problem? All opinions are welcomed.

2. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I used wave petunias this year(first time). They started out looking great but took a turn for the worse about the beginning of August. They are being fed with Miracle Grow. The plant looks like it hasn't been watered. I don't know what you mean by "leggy". Some other customers I cut for have petunias that look the same way. Can't give you an answer why, but mine are not looking to award winning either. Matt
  3. GarPA

from PA

me too...early August..by leggy, I mean longer shoots and anemic looking..not dark green as normal. and not a single bloom on most of the plants...as say they were fine, then boom..non -wave petunias always get leggy which is why we use the waves...I cant figure this one out and I have an unhappy customer on my hands since we put in a large display ....yes uts been wet and not much sun this year but last year was no better and we didnt have the problem....grrrrr...man will we ever have "normal" weather...whatever normal is anymore
  4. BostonGuy

BostonGuy LawnSite Member

Mine turned on me about 2 weeks ago. Looked good all summer and now I'm going to have to yank them out. My potted ones turned on me first and were shortly followed by the others.
  5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

petujias need to be hit with Merrit in late june/august ...... they also sometimes need to be hit with a fungicide. more than likely from the way all of you describe things from my experience you have affids... i used to get them badf on my petuina ( and waves) really bad about this time of year until i started spraying them with fungicides and merrit
  6. GarPA

from PA

TOday I noticed what looked like small snails chomping on what few blooms were there. Time to get out the spray as you suggest...never had this problem b4...live and learn
  7. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice even though I didn't start the thread. I was at the customers house cutting today and one potted wave is finished, the other might be savable. Matt
  8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I've got (had) aphids on our petunias in hanging baskets at home. One basket (waves) had *maybe* three blooms in it last weekend, then I sprayed them with Talstar.

It was almost an overnight turn-around, now they are blooming wonderfully again! Well, as well as they can with only water. I haven't fert'ed them at all this year.......