What's wrong with this baseball field turf?

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by aeration, Jul 24, 2010.

1. aeration

aeration LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Went to a minor league baseball game last night. The turf didn't look good. It looked ok from behind homeplate (where I was sitting) but from the outfield, the problem was easily visible. Any ideas?

tincaps grass.jpg

tincaps grass 2.jpg

2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Dollar spot!

3. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Yup! It's very humid inyour area. Their are a few products that can treat this.

The most common fungicides used are: benomyl, anilazine, and thiophanate.

Make two applications of a contact fungicide, 7-10 days apart, beginning when the disease is first evident. Damaged grass will recover if treated soon enough.

The best prevention for brown patch is aerate often, water only in the morning hours if additional water is necessary, remove excess thatch, and follow a fertilization schedule to help increase the amount of nitrogen levels in your lawn.

Dollar spots are most common to Kentucky Bluegrass, Bent Grass, and Bermuda in humid climates. They get their name from their small silver dollar-like shape, but can begin as the size of a small grapefruit. Usually looks brown or straw-colored in appearance. The spots may merge to form large patches several feet wide

Dollar spot is most common during warm, wet weather with heavy dews and in those lawns with low levels of nitrogen.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

5. TJ LAWN

TJ LAWN LawnSite Member

I with Rodney on this one....Its Poa annua....Its a ***** to get rid of....Round-up or a Sod cutter works Best

6. TJ LAWN

TJ LAWN LawnSite Member

AJ.....Put the Scotts Lawn Book Down and LOOK at the Pictures...Now pick the book back up and Look under Poa-annua otherwise Known as annual Bluegrass..Then Post....:dizzy:

7. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

wait Todd, is everything spelled correctly?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TJ LAWN

TJ LAWN LawnSite Member

Spelling looks good AJ......Advice, Not so good....:dizzy:

9. tcjim

tcjim LawnSite Member

if its just a different color green it could be annual blue grass or perennial ryr seeded into a darker turf such as bluegrass. A lighter color green wouldn't be an indication of fungus.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am agreeing 7 months later...its poa.
    I am seeing that it was resodded with big roll sod. 4 feet wide and about 60 feet long. So therefore you can see some sod rolls from the sod farm were almost free of poa. And some were partially infested. Some heavily infested.
    I would not be happy with the sod farm. Then again I am sure they could have spent more and gone to a better sod farm. However--now that the poa has gone to seed--perhaps the soil is permanently contaminated with poa, and better sod would not solve the problem.