What's Wrong With This Grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Jul 15, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Here is a picture of some grass that is from one of the lawn accounts that I just picked up. It looks like some sort of fungus or something. It is in several patches on one side of the lawn. The white stuff is just like fine hair. It is tough and doesn't just pull off easily.

The lawn is irrigated and the soil has a lot of clay in it. Thanks for the help. Here is a pic.

Nancy Grass.jpg

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I also want to add that around the irrigation control boxes that are in the ground the grass is bright yellow in these areas. It looks like crabgrass but it is bluegrass and fine fescue like the rest of the lawn. Any idea why this is?

Trugreen is doing the chemical apps. now, but I will be taking them over now.

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

impossible to cut even with the sharpest blades hu?

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Stillwater

Nope that is not it

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Clumpy and shreds when you mow it? Sure sounds like poa to me.

7. Stillwater

I had a very small area of it in a lawn consisting of creeping red fesc. and ken blue, it did shred big time when mowed. I got rid of it when I took out a pair of scissors and cut it manually it never came back and that spot is perfect now. I did have the poa in another area and frequent cutting and bagging cured that issue. I never did identify the fray issue.

8. Stillwater

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I suspect the grass is one of the older cheaper varieties of ryegrass. The old types like Linn and various generic-quality types are so tough and fibrous, they cannot be cut even with a sharp blade. They tend to be yellowish green. It is possible that the sprinkler company put cheap seed around the control boxes when they finished their digging.

10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Timothy frays at the end like that. What's it smell like?