whats wrong with this grass?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fonjo, Feb 17, 2009.

1. fonjo

fonjo LawnSite Member

anyone knows what might of caused this? or better yet , how to fix it? i live in northeren calif. the grass is a mixture of seed from the local grass farm, that has been applied over the past 10 years. any ideas are greatly appreciated. thanks james

000_0419.jpg

000_0418.jpg

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It looks to me like it is a tall fescue (turf type), which is a bunch type growth habit. Over time, if the soil is lacking potassium (and possibly phosphorus), the roots can not and will not reproduce and spread like turf cultivars with prostrate growth habit. I would order a soil analysis, and that will verify this.

3. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

very hard to tell from just pictures. def is a fescue... a few things if it was a blend mix a disease have have depleted the other mixed grasses. rye, bluegrass, or etc... im from jersey, im really not familiar with pests on the west coast. just trying to help ya out buddy

4. fonjo

fonjo LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice. as for the soil sampling who do i contact? internet/yellow pages? what would the business that does the sampling, be classifed as?

5. loupiscopolandscaping

i use lesco here... the do soil testing..most fert/chem companies will do the test. idk how much it is but i do know its not expensive.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Or contact your county cooperative extension service. They work with your state universities.

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

https://web01.aphis.usda.gov/PPQ/AuthSoilLabs.nsf/web?openform#ca

maybe you just need some professional help???

if you cant get the soil tested your self and have a hard time finding a lab on the link I gave, then your interpretation of your soil is..... well its sort of one of the things that you need a keen eye for....

if you hit a wall, PM me and I can send you the soil lab I use and help you read the test.....

but a class 1-2 soil should not be hard to fix....

1/2 rate of 13-3-13, add some compost and then aerate and over seed in march...... but thats just a guess at this point with the limited resources and access to Ca soil composition......

8. loupiscopolandscaping

thats true....here rutgurs university will test and study ANY plant live. its pretty cool they help out the public. my assumsion is the possiblity of new species,hybids, charles darwin

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Very clumpy - I agree with above, get a soil test, there very well may be something in the analysis that is off and can be amended.

10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that on a slope, and/or under the canopy of a large leafed tree?