1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's Wrong With This Lawn Picture In

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daner, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

This Lawn was new 2 yrs ago2.5 acres...It does not want to green up like the others...And it has these small holes in it...I see them now that it is spring here but I also saw them last summer
    It looks like some one walked across it with spikes in there shoes

jobs 024 small lawn holes.jpg
  2. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Grubs? Only major lawn pest we have here is crane fly larvae which makes the lawn appear like you mentioned. Holes are created when the grub comes up to fee at night.
  3. Daner

Could it be Killer bird pecks???
    There must be a lawn pro out there that can tell me what is makeing these holes
  4. Daner

T hanks for the responce...how will i Know if they are Grubs...Idid pull a bit of lawn and saw nothing
  5. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

In these parts, starlings feed on the crane fly grubs, about the only thing that will eat them. This causes holes as well.

I've never done this but I've heard if you cut both ends off a coffee can, push it into the ground a couple of inches and fill it with soapy water it causes them to come to the surface. You can also try cutting a square out of the lawn a couple inches deep and inspecting the soil under the turf.

I don't know what lawn pests you have in your area so I can't be more specific. Might do a web search for common lawn pests in your area.
  6. Daner

I may do the Coffee can trick tonight...I too have herd about that...I know that we do have grubs here in this part of the country but i cant see them when i pull the lawn back
  7. Daner

I tryed the coffee can trick and there's nothing in there this morning
    What if i put some beer in there:drinkup: ...Maybe I will catch something then??
    Wiskey for my horses beer for my Grubs??
    anyone else ever see these holes in a lawn??
  8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You check for grubs by tugging on a handful of turf and see if it pulls right up. If you see a grub, you have frubs. It could also be percolation holes from a good rainfall. As far as it not "greening up", I'd say it was kentucky blue grass that hasn't woken up yet. Rake it and see what happens.
  9. BLS 2002

BLS 2002 LawnSite Member

I have the same problem at my house... Couldn't figure out what all those holes were from. I had an idea they were from grubs but wasn't sure. So I applied some pesticide and the next day it rained... all of the grubs were coming to the surface. Guess the pesticide worked huh? Oh yeah they were coming out of the small holes.. of course. I think that's what my dog kept digging for too.. so maybe I killed two birds with one stone. No grubs.. No digging! Hopefully..
  10. Daner

This Lawn is a Bluegrass lawn...and it was just installed 2 yrs ago...I hit it with a mild insecticide last yr but now i see these holes:cry: Is it bird pecks??...heck we are talking like 3 acres of laWN HERE THATS ALOT OF BIRDS THAT MUST HAVE LANDED here...I'm trying to learn more about this European crane fly...I gota go digin now see if i can see any little buggers uder there
    Any more help would be great and thanks for all your sugestions:)