What's wrong with this lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by QuadRacer041, Jul 28, 2005.

1. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

noticed this on a few of my lawns.i dont do any pest. apps. i subcontract that out but, im curious what this problem is.
    there are some of these brown spots on the lawn yet most of the lawn looks real good.

DSC03887 (Small).JPG

2. QuadRacer041

here's a closer shot, it kinda looks like a pest burn from a spill but thats not what it is.the brown grass is all matted down as well

DSC03888 (Small).JPG

3. 66galaxie

66galaxie LawnSite Member

Looks like poa annua.

4. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

crop circle :p

5. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

Canadian geese dropings? can kill grass? Is those black and white feathers in the pic?

If it is You need to ask your customer if they want it done and what I mean by this is having the lawn sprayed with flight control. It been a big problem this year. It not cheap but look it up it could be this.

6. QuadRacer041

no they are not feathers on the lawn.there are no geese around there.
    what is poa annua?what causes it and how do i trest for it?

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Poa annua is annual bluegrass. It looks OK in spring, then goes to seed, and usually craps out when the hot weather arrives. That may be it. I actually have a lawn I just looked at yesterday with the same problem. I wasn't completely sure, but I thought it was bentgrass that had died. It was a small area in a sunny area of the lawn. If anyone else has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

8. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Could also eb what's left of a fungus. How is the soil? The remaining grass doesn't look to good. Might be staved...

9. QuadRacer041

you might be right because now that i think about it i spot seeded those area's this spring.maybe just bad seed?

10. Shadygrove

Shadygrove LawnSite Member

You didn't use a Shade mix did you? Creeping Red Fescue can act like Poa and die out when the temps get up over 90-95 degrees. Or after a pound of nitrogen.