Whats wrong with this lawn?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by QuadRacer041, Mar 19, 2008.

1. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

anyone have any ideas?
    did a spring clean up there and while i was blowing with the backpack peices of lawn were just coming up.

0318081207a.jpg

2. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping LawnSite Member

Don't know about your area, but it looks like grubs might have been there. At least a yard in that shape in my part of the country you would find grubs.

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I take it this is a new client? It looks like serious grub damage, along with a major fungus infestation of some kind. I've NEVER seen a lawn that distressed... not ever. That lawn is dead.

4. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

It's dead, for sure

5. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

One Thing!! Grubs!!!!! LAST FALL OR LATE SUMMER!!!!

6. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

One possibility is a bad case of compaction from foot traffic. Is the damage isolated to that area or does the rest of the yard look like that? If it's just that spot I would be looking more toward foot traffic from the driveway to the front door.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Would it be possible to tell for sure if it was grubs etc.? Can you find evidence by digging? What do you look for?

Any other lawns in the area that resemble this? Could this be from freezing weather combined with heavy foot traffic thus killing the lawn?

Now for the second step what do you do to renovate the lawn at this point?

8. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

its like that on most of the front lawn, back is ok. the front does have alot of shade, not sure if that has anything to do with it. i dont see any evidence of digging thats why i wasnt sure if it was grubs but it does look like a major repair is needed.

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

What is the root zone like? The soil like?

I had a lawn do that one year only not that bad. I concentrated on getting the roots down deeper by cutting back to 2 NPK apps and mowing higher during the season.

I assumed fungus and changed the water habits first.
    If there were that many grubs the neighbors would have them too, it would seem. Around here we discover 'too many grubs' in the lawn, when the skunks start rooting through :)

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Take a few shovels of dirt out and see if any are still there.