Whats wrong with this lawn??????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lamblawnscaping, Mar 12, 2002.

1. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

This lawn is in bad shape. It was sodded by the builder last year. The client informed me that she may have overwatered the sod. Do you all think that the sod has rotted due to poor drainage and improper watering. If so is the lawn salvagable, ther are some green leaves in there somewhere. And what is are these dark brown areas????

Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

Chris Lamb
    Lamb Lawnscaping

problem_lawn1.jpg

2. lamblawnscaping

Heres another pic, sorry bad lighting.

problem_lawn3.jpg

3. lamblawnscaping

one last pic

problem_lawn2.jpg

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know what the dark brown patches are.. never seen that before. If it was watered excessively in the evening.. it's possible. Was it bluegrass?

I don't think it's going to come back..

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

What kind of grass?

6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

did the sod ever take root, or have normal growth?

was the lawn the only thing affected?

Is the leaf the only part affected or are the roots dead too?

Are there any molds or diseases?

Ask her some more questions (chemicals, fertilizer, when was it planted, what was the weather when it was planted, what type of soil?)

looks like the sod never took root and then was wattered too much and got some mold arround those dark brown spots.

7. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

What in the hell happened to that!!!! Looks like someone put roundup in the sprayer on mistake!

8. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

:confused: looks like a crime scene to me.

This could be a type of fungus or mold. Pull up and see if their are roots.:confused:

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe a type of mould. Lawn looks knackered. Might want to
    consider re turfing or overseeding.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know exactly what is going on there. It looks like KY blue, or should I say KY Brown.
    You bring up some interesting clues to the possible source of the problem. When builders backfill a lot they use the cheapest backfill possible. Most builders will not truck in topsoil, so you get whatever came out of the last hole that they were digging in. They may have also compacted the livin sheet out of the ground. The lawn grows from the roots and if they aren't in a good base then you will have trouble.
    Another clue is that she watered it excessively. Why? Was it during a drought? Did she water during the hot part of the day? Did she flood the area overnight?
    One more clue could be the sod itself. Was it put down in good condition? Or did it sit on a truck or on the site on a pallet for a few days in the sun?

Personally, I would ask all the questions, rip it all out, get a soil test, evaluate what you need to do from there (aerate, topsoil, NPK) and resod or reseed.
    There are certainly many more individuals with greater experience than I but this would be my plan. Keep us informed.