1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats wrong with this lawn?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sea ox, Sep 6, 2012.

1. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I see your point. Still, I am pretty surprised it could all go from a good green lawn to this in just 3 weeks due to fungus alone. I think gray leaf spot can do that, but not brown patch, which takes longer to spread this much. So I wonder what the fungus is. First, he needs to look at the leaves to see whether there are the usual fungus signs, ie brown spots, slimy grass, etc. If so, he can take some clippings and put them in a bag overnight. Gray leaf spot will show up as a gray mold instead of the cottony stuff you get with brown patch, dollar spot etc. Could be grubs, but there would have to be a heck of a lot to do this.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I like how he has just about a unanimous number of members telling him it's definitely some amount of drought stress\damage, but he keeps insisting it isn't.

I think we can all agree that it is drought related, with something else going on. Whether that be insects, fungus, thatch or all 3 combined, the majority of the issue present is drought related.
  3. motion

motion LawnSite Member

I would say it is burned out, might have grubs eating the roots, or a root rot problem caused from watering everyday.... Daily watering is not a good thing, unless your watering a seed bed.. Established lawns should be waterd heavily then alowed to dry a few days before the next wattering.. To encourage a healthy sod base to form.