1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats wrong with this Lorapetalum?

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by inzane, Dec 10, 2013.

1. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

I have one lorapetalum out of 3 that is starting to decline. Wondering what i should be looking for?? We have had excessive rains for weeks. Its strange that the one plant is declining while the 2 next to it are looking normal.

2. Tree Guru

Tree Guru LawnSite Member

Check the base of the plant for soil against the bark. Remove soil to expose the flare roots. Also give a tug on the plant to see if its firmly rooted in the soil Could have root rot?
  3. Tree Guru

Tree Guru LawnSite Member

Also noticed downspout for the gutter directly in line with the plant?
  4. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

yeah.. downspout is directly in line.. i see how that can be a problem now. gonna have to divert the water. its been so rainy here nothing ever seems to get a chance to dry out.

thanks for the feedback.

5. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Possible explanations for Loropetalum decline include eriophyid mites, nutrient deficiency (especially micronutrients), root rot, nematodes and salt toxicity

We have a issue with the decline of some loropetalum here....cultivar helps...spraying with a copper fungicide like CUPRO on the regular seems to help the most.