what's wrong with this picture?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Jul 30, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ok so heres the deal with this one, this homeowner hires a guy to install a lawn and sprinkler system. he installs everything but doesn't plan ahead and only runs a 4 line cable when he is installing 5 sprinkler stations. so he finishes up the job and leaves one station unhooked. then he "forgets" to set up the timer, and collects his money before the homeowner knows he's been swindled. well they notice that the system isn't working at all and i come out and get the 4 that are wired up and running. they claim that they'll run a wire and hook up the other station since their doing remodelling anyhow. well they don't hook it up and just water it manually. then they forget to water it and it dries up and dies. now i'm sure you guys that experience drought conditions see this kind of stuff happen all the time, but i don't since all my lawns are irrigated. is this just drought or is something else going on here? they are watering like crazy now but doesn't seem to be affecting the largest dead part. oh by the way if anyone can tell what type of grass this is, that would be helpful.

carrolprob1.jpg

2. AielLandscaping

here's another closer up shot

carrolprob2.jpg

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be a fungus of some type. Its always tough (for me anyway) to tell w/ most of these pics.

Also, you may want to check for chinch bugs.

Bob

4. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

TERMITES.............. :sleeping:

5. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

You know it is funny sometimes, what trees will do when they are suffering a drought. It seems to me that the dead area is in the dripline of a tree. Just a thought. Trees will suck every bit of moisture out of the ground, even if they are not real big. Others have shallow root systems.>>> etc..............

About the grass. Is it a clump growth plant? or Stolon And Rhizomes????

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

its drought ,but is that not rocks next to the fence. could be where he left
    all the junk he cleaned up when he built his lawn. kinda strange looking .

7. SLIMDAWG1

SLIMDAWG1 LawnSite Member

YEAH,I AGREE WITH IPM THAT AREA IS UNDER WHAT LOOKS LIKE AN OAK TREE AND WE SHOULD ALL KNOW THAT AN OAK SENDS LOTS AND LOTS OF ROOTS.OAKS SUCK ALL THE MOISTURE FROM THE GRASS.REPLANT AND INFORM CUSTOMER TO WATER EXTRA AROUND THAT AREA(REALLY STRESS THIS).YOU COULD ALSO CUT DOWN THE TREE IF IT'S UNDESIRABLE.

8. AielLandscaping

this grass is a clump type. and what your seeing next to the fence is just extra dirt were Mr. Take-Your-Money-and-Run left it instead of removing it after leveling the area

9. Have you checked for head to head coverage with the irrigation. Are they even watering enough? I know temps in Manteca(i have a rental porperty there) have been always high 90 to low 100ds.

As to grass type, if it was a sod job, probaly the sod came from
    A-G Sod, Pacific Earth Resourses(pacific sod) or Delta Blue. They all grow some type of mixed fescue\blue grass\bermuda combo's.

If head to head coverage is there, client is watering enough, most likley culprit would be roots from the oak is at surface level.

I would say the client is the problem, regards to watering.
    John

10. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

looks like brown patch or helminthosporium disease (melt-out)both of which are a fungil disease..