What's wrong with this setup (Gallons per k)?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GCLC, Mar 10, 2008.

1. GCLC

GCLC LawnSite Member

I'm new to this spraying stuff, and just did a test run today. We have a 60 gal tank (really holds only 55) and the spraying systems lawn gun. We measured off 1000 sf and sprayed it. We used 18 gallons. So we mixed the chems and sprayed the yard accordingly. I must have started overlapping more or slowed down, because I estimate that I was closer to 25 gal/k towards the end. We were using barricade and triplet.

The gun is spraying maybe an 18" swath. As you can imagine it took forever. We didn't time it but probably 3 hrs to do a 11,000 sf lawn :hammerhead:

What are we doing wrong? I guess one problem may be my assumption that the area should be completely blue when done. Is this correct? Basically I mean that the grass looks painted, no areas of yellow at all really.

2. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a lot more than we use.. we average about 1-2 gallons per 1k on most apps, and it varries by applicator.. I always have my guys spray the same area a few times, monitoring their consumption, and then averaging it for the mixture.. it is important to be consistant when spraying..

I highly suggest using a dye for your 1st few weeks at this, after a while you won't need it.. and you'll almost immediately not want it :) MESSY!

3. GCLC

GCLC LawnSite Member

We were using blue dye. Do we need to spray until the entire area is blue, or is it ok to have a blue and yellow mix. I was assuming that to have complete coverage we shouldn't see any yellow. Of course, when you assume....

4. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Very light blue, or very dark blue after the app.. either one is fine, as long as the entire lawn is the same shade.. and you have properly calibrated your equipment, and yourself :)

It's VERY important to walk, and spray at the same speed as you did when calibrating. The blue is MAINLY so you can see where you have missed.

Sounds like you were so busy watching the colors that you were putting down, that you forgot how you moved during the calibration.

5. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

you need to run your spray tests a bunch of times so you can gauge how you are applying. If you have a tendancy to spray too heavy you have to know it.
    You will be sorry in your costs or worse burnt grass

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Without sounding presumtious, did you mix your barricade and triplet according to the label/1000 to 18gal of water. If so you're about 1/3 A.I. over. Try to aim for about 2 gal/K. Do you have the normal regulator with the recycle back to tank setup. That return is your mixing agitation. If not, you will HAVE to put them on. With 18gal/K, you can't hold enough to do a small lawn. Most lawn are in the 15K ballpark. A good thing to do is to practice on dry pavement with just water just like the backpack. Let us know

7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Saturday and Sunday 7am school parking lot....Practice ...Practice...Practice

8. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

As with any situation involving spraying turf I would suggest starting with a "bucket check". Use a sharpie pen to mark off on the inside of the bucket in 1 quart increments. Start your pump and begin spraying (straight water if possible) outside of the bucket. This eliminates the typical "surge" you may get when the gun initially starts spraying. Have someone assist you in timing for 30 seconds to 1 minute of spray-time. When they say "GO!" put the gun in the bucket until they say "Stop!". Adjust your regulator until you are at your target gallons/minute and lock it down. With that small tank I would recommend a max of 1.5 gal/minute. I think with that particular spray gun you need the gray Tee-Jet spray nozzle. The black or red nozzles are for higher volumes and will screw you up right off the bat.
    Measure off 1000 square feet (50' x 20' is handy) and spray this area with straight water while you are timed by someone until you can spray it consistently in 60 sec. This gives you the timing needed (walking speed/spray width) to put down the correct amount for the given area. Then work on spray technique. In the end you will likely soon get tired of using such a tiny tank. The re-fills will kill production unless you only intend on doing a handful of lawns.

9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I think we may need to take a step back for second.

It sounds like you know how to calibrate etc.

But it sounds like you may also be ONLY spraying as wide as the gun shoots the product out. Kind of drawing a straight line with it, I think. You need to "wave" the gun back and forth and walk at a normal pace...now what normal is, is what you need to figure out for yourself. That is where the parking lot comes in. Also, you will find that you will spray more product in front of you than to the sides. You will need to adjust for this by "double hitting" the sides or overlapping when come back in the opposite direction.

An average person will be able to spray and walk 1,000 sq ft per minute. If you are spraying at 2 gal per minute, it should work out to be about 2 gal per 1,000. Therefore, you should have used about 22 gallons of finished product on that lawn. Another check would be that lawn would take about 22 minutes to spray, not including set up and take down.

Also dont worry about every square inch being covered. It is liquid it will fill in the gaps as it works down to the soil and gets watered in. But you dont want to miss corners or an entire swath either.

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Absolutely right. wave your arm back and forth so you spray in 8-10ft swaths. when you make your return pass overlap to your previous footsteps or hoseline (hose should make a line where you walked). Always remember, you are spraying the lawn, not watering it. No need to completely soak it. Water is just the carrier. Spraying too heavy can cause damage especially as temps get higher.