whats wrong with this tree ?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by befnme, Jul 31, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

my lawn had grubs this year but i killed them out and the lawn has recovered .but this ash tree that was in the midst of the grub problem hasnt been the same since. it was a great tree last year with huge leaves but not now . what is wrong ?

tree 028.JPG
  2. befnme

3. befnme

this is what the new growth does . instead if growing it just curls up and turns brown.

tree 030.JPG
  4. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

the tree is defective.
  5. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf Spot Tree Disease - Prevention and Control
    From Steve Nix,
    Your Guide to Forestry.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
    Leaf infections called "leafspots" are caused by a variety of fungi and some bacteria on many trees. An especially harmful version of this disease is called anthracnose which attacks many tree species including dogwood and sycamore. Positive identification usually requires laboratory diagnosis.
    Symptoms: A leaf spot disease creates spots on foliage. The spots will vary in size and color depending on the plant, the organism involved and the stage of development. Spots are most often brownish, but may be tan or black. Concentric rings or a dark margin around the spot may be present. Over time the spots may combine to enlarge and form blotches. Spots or blotches that are angular and located around the veins are generally referred to as anthracnose. Leaves may yellow and drop prematurely.
    Prevention: Good tree care is sufficient for prevention. Avoid crowding plantings too closely. Thin out branches to open up the tree crown, but don't top or dehorn. Rake up leaves in fall and bury or compost them. Plant different kinds of trees in mixture. Fertilize trees in the spring with a complete fertilizer. Water trees deeply during dry spells. Do you know how to keep your tree healthy?

Control: Use fungicides only when necessary. They MUST be applied prior to buildup of disease to effectively control leafspotting fungi. If severe leafspotting and/or defoliation occurs for several years, chemical control is probably necessary, but the leaf spot variety should be identified first. You can submit samples to your county agent for identification. Timing of protectant fungicide sprays is critical and varies for different fungi. Correct timing is a key to effective chemical control.

i think this is the problem, though i could be wrong.
  6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe your grub control damaged the tree? it is a small tree so it isn't out of the question, but as said above is good advice.
  7. FLAhaulboy

it doesn't look like its worth saving. if you destroy it, be sure to put all limbs in plastic bag or burn it so you dont transfer the fungi elsewhere. i wouldn't plant another tree in the same area until you treat the soil for fungus...which might not work.
  8. FLAhaulboy

The Ortho Problem Solver
    by Michael D. Smith (Editor), Ortho Books (Editor)

Publisher: learn how customers can search inside this book.

List Price: CDN$ 300.00
    Our Price: CDN$ 198.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. See details

You Save: CDN$ 102.00 (34%)

Usually ships within 8 to 11 days.

New and used from CDN$ 182.65

See more pictures

Product Details

Hardcover - 984 pages 6th edition (June 30, 2003)
    Language: English
    Georgetown Publications ; ISBN: 0897214943

Amazon.ca Sales Rank: 75,123
    Average Customer Review: Based on 4 reviews. Write a review.

Editorial Reviews

Book Description
    Revised with the most up-to-date chemical and nonchemical solutions for plant problems encountered throughout North America.
    References to banned chemicals such as Dursban and Diazinon have been eliminated.

Colorful, detailed photos and brief analysis help gardeners diagnose each problem.

Problem, analysis, and solution descriptions allow gardeners to quickly identify methods and products to treat their plants, lawn, or garden.

Thumbnail maps show North American locations where problems are likely to occur.

Detailed chemical and non-chemical solutions.

I bought the 3rd edition years back. it was like 1300 page hardback cover. this book contains color photos of all diseases, and is an extremely good book to have for reference, plus it lists what type ortho chemicals to use. the info is from county extension offices through out the nation. you can buy it bran new for about 200 bucks. Home depot/lowes used to have these books on display where customers could look thru them. some nurseries have them also. my book got stolen. sad, sad...

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

When trees are in a weakened state, a whole host of things starts to attack it. The tree is garbage now. One of those pictures looks like Midge, but I'm not sure if they infest Ash. It mostly looks like last years budset was severly injured. Young trees are more susceptible to frost,bark splits,etc. You also might check and see if the ropes around the ball were cut when it was planted. ??????? I don't think insecticides had anything to do with it.
  10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a thought, but did you plant the tree? We find alot of this with new construction homes where the Mexicans forgot to take the basket off. Especially with Fischer Homes.