what's wrong with......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 6, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what's wrong with getting paid at time of service? i mean if you can do it without socializing and wasting time, why not do it? i have a few that insist on paying this way. they come right out and hand me a check while i'm mowing. i actually like it this way.
  2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Same here. No late payer to keep track of. I prefer it.
  3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Nothings realy wrong with it unless your hounding them for your money the moment the jobs done thats kinda rude. But if they come out and hand you a check so much the better I get some of my monthly billing that way. Like one I did today the months bill was 625 dollars yet she still wanted to save 37 cents on the stamp heheheh.
  4. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

I was able to get 90% of my customers to tape an envolope to the inside of screen door and put my check in there every week. When im done i simply walk over and get my paycheck. And if they forget they just pay me the following week, at least the good customers do.The other ten percent dont feel comfortable with that and they mail it .I have found for the most part, that the "ten cent millionaires" i mow for are the cheapest , pita people that just cannot part with their money. ANd the rich foreigners are the absolute worst for me
  5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

don't forget the ranks of the upper white collar class. i'd rather deal with a whole trailer park than these people.
  6. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing wrong with it untill you have employees, not so much a trust thing as an acountability issue. Just my 02.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't know how to act...really.
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I guess it all depends upon how many customers you have set up this way. ( a few is ok I guess) But I couldn't imagine having more than 5 set up this way. It could become a nightmare. Why you ask? Because when Mrs. Smith isn't home, then it's up to you to remember that she didn't pay. So when she comes out the following week, and hands you a check for only one cut, then you have to remember on the spot that she really owes for two. So you look at the check, see it's only for one.... you have to stop the mower... explain to her that she owes for another cut.... (here comes the time wasting..)..... Nope, not for me. We did this type of billing our first year. I love the monthly biling now. It's so simple, and I'm not forced to have to come home, enter a check into the computer for one cut.. All bills are sent out the last day of the month. And the checks coming rolling in the first week.
  9. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

a few customers like this is great, and i like to call that CASH!! Notice i only said a FEW, so im still paying my taxes....

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

It's far easier for me to do all the billing at once at the end of the month, and not have to worry about keeping track of who owes what and who has paid what and how much they owe every week. Plus, I send announcements and updates with the bill, another way of communicating with the customers.