Whats wrong.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ChadA, May 7, 2005.

1. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you guys can help on this one. I did an estimate today on this yard. The rest rest of it looks good other than a few small spots like this in the back. Does anyone know what it is. I took a soil sample from the front and back to my ext. office today to be tested. Anyone know what it might be.

DSC00621.JPG

DSC00622.JPG

DSC00623.JPG

2. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like chinch bug damage to me.

3. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

I agree definately a big infested chinch bug area. If I were you I would rent a sod cutter and completely remove all of the infested area and roto till the area and install new sod, just my 2 cents :)

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Could it just be damaged for frost?

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That lawn needs to be replaced dosen't really matter what killed it.Not frost damage that's for sure.Probably is bugs,tell customer it's gotta go and don't even bother to try and fix a lawn in that kind of shape,remove it and the soil beneath it treat for whatever pest it is and replace the sod completely.

6. ChadA

They have asked me to replace it now but I don't want them to pay for and it happens again next year. How do I tell for sure if its chinch bugs. Thanks for the replies.

7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

If chinch bug like heat why are the areas around the driveway ok looking? That would be the hottest area in the summertime , wouldnt they start there and move in?

8. ChadA

Turf Tech,
    What would you say it is. Im trying to get as many opinions as possible. Thanks for the help.

9. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, take 3-4coffee cans, tops & bottoms removed, push into ground, fill with water, chinch bugs will float to the top.......Did you check the overall thatch thickness, over here it appears to be 1/2 inch or better?[ since you are closer you ck it out, OK?]...after you ck the thatch, use a soil probe , take a core sample 6inches in depth [ 4-5 of them ] look at the soil composition, & how long are the grass roots?.....Now take those coffee cans and place them pushed in to the soil on areas where you removed the dead grass, , again fill with water,...See how long it takes to drain?......Next ask to see the clients daughter?...oh I mean the irragation controll box, ck the time per zone & the days it cycles?....I bet its set for short intervals [ 15-20mins[ & probably everyother day?....1st and foremost avoid a high N, fast release fertilizer, "Me" thinks you have a Fungus....let me know how it all works out, regards Saxon :cool2:

10. ChadA

Thanks for the suggestions. If it is a fungus and i resod will it come back?