What's wrong...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jan 23, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

... with this picture? I'm sure you smart guys will figure it out right away. This ASV was cracked from the recent freeze and I had to replace the whole thing. :)

LJ Williams Planter IV-01.jpg

2. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Did you go back with that solorain?

3. PurpHaze

Yes, sort of. Installed a new one though because I had one. Nothing really wrong with this one and it'll be used as a backup. These planters are the only places in the district where we use them because each planter is separated by a lot of concrete, block walls and stairways.

4. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a few myself. The batteries don't las as long as advertised but they do the job. I don't know if you remember the old Dayni battery operated timer but we had a joke that you had to burn incense while programming it.

5. PurpHaze

We've had pretty good success with the batteries in the Solo Rain controllers so far and usually get two full seasons out of them. However, this might be related to the fact that they're only used in these planters and don't have a real long run time. I'm planning on replacing all the batteries this season when we start things up in the spring.

We tried the Dayni controllers in the past and found them to be not very substantial. Instead of burning incense I preferred a 3lb. hand sledge. :laugh:

6. PurpHaze

OK... Thought someone would get it by now.

ANSWER: No union(s) with which to remove the old valves. I ended up having to saw through the valve and remove it. First two lined up good and I was able to just install female adapters onto the galvanized pipe, SCH 80 TOE nipples into the valves and then glue them into place. This one was a bit different as it didn't line up for some reason so I chose a quick alternate method of installation.

LJ Williams Planter IV-02.jpg

7. WaterGuru

WaterGuru LawnSite Member
    from Florida

So why did you not take this opportunity to install unions?

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My thought also.

9. Ditto.....................

10. PurpHaze

Two of the valves had longer galvanized pipes and the top of the SoloRain would have hit the enclosure. PVC is easy to cut/break so if they need replacing again I'll just do that and rebuild again. :)