What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Screamin!, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Screamin!

Screamin! LawnSite Member

Attached are a few pictures of a yard I got a call about today. When I got there I noticed the yard is excessively wet for the amount of rain we've received. I was squishing around when I walked. Parts of it looked like grub damage, so I got my shovel out and cut some sod stripes up in random spots across the yard, and I couldn't find a single grub. Then I started to think maybe it was a nitrogen deficiency? This is the ONLY yard in this subdivision like this, not a single other yard had this problem. I drove around creeper style looking across all the yards.

Any ideas what this may be?? Any and all help is appreciated. And I'm sorry if this is the wrong area to post this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Bluegrass or rye or both? Was it dry before recent rains? irrigated? If this is not the case I vote fungus.

If it is green in the shade and brown in the sun, brown on the sunny side of trees where roots extend out, even browner where it has full sun, then I suspect dryness from past weeks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like unirrigated sand that isn't properly cared for.

4. Screamin!

There is no irrigation system. It's a combonation of bluegrass and rye. We had a pretty decent drought lately, and the past 2 weeks we've been getting lots of rain, and HEAVY morning dews.

I think I may power-rake it, bring in just a little fresh dirt, and re-seed it with an overseed mixture. Unless you guys think I should put down any chemicals first, and then re-seed it?

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

That last photo has a streak going down the middle. Would fungus do that? I don't think so. Does your client have it professionally fertilized maintained? Looks like it may have had the wrong herbicide applied. Why don't you inquire to client as to whom and when was the last application and check. If a pro did the work, maybe he still has the tag/flag info. Looks chemically suspicious. Notice the parameters in other photos and heavier loss about where an overlap might have occurred. Photo 3 even has a dead streak (from a dripping hose?) I'd investigate before reseeding...It may have had an overdose of pre-em...

6. Screamin!

Ok. So I spoke with the landlord again, she informed me there is an irrigation system. Also, it was prodessonally fertilized, but when the new tenats moved in the applications stopped. The last application was in June; and she started noticing it in July... The line in the third picture was from some kind trench they dug for what I'm assuming is the sump pump, it runs the whole duration on the yard.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Did the tenants run the irrigation? It a water issue, compounded by a thick layer of thatch.

8. Screamin!

So how what would be the steps to correct it? I've never encountered anything like this.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

First thing to do is get a soil sample.

It could be

1.) Fungus
    2.) PH
    3.) etc....

A soil sample will be the only way to truly know what's going on to make the best corrections.

If you are on a time constraint and the owner wants something done now, then I would either heavily power rake the dead areas and aerate the whole thing, then over-seed. It's getting late in the season, and they're calling for frost in the next few days here in IL, so you might want to wait until spring to tear up the lawn.

10. Screamin!

Two things.

One, can I send a soil sample to the U of I Extension office for testing? I've never tested soil yet.

Second, when is the dead line to plant new seed? I've had 2 calls in the past week looking grass seed to be planted. One is a yard I prepped in mid summer, and he finally is getting back with me. I feel were 2 weeks to late, but I'm just now starting to get into smaller landscape jobs. I've pretty much been a maintenance man my whole career.