what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 1999frontier, Jul 19, 2012.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Yesterday I got off of the highway going to take my mower to the dealer for a tire repair and the light traffic light was red so I stopped of course. The light turned green and I hit the gas and I didn't move. The RPM's went up but I just sat there and then it finally after a second or two it kicked in and I was on my way. Is this a sign of the transmission going bad? I've got about 99,500 miles on it. Its a '05 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 4x4.

2. Dave does lawns

Dave does lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Manual transmission? Could be the clutch

3. 1999frontier

from NC

Sorry I should have said its automatic transmission.

4. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Could be a brake caliper not releaseing.

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

It most certainly is. I can't think of anything else that would cause these exact symptoms.

6. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a possible torque converter issue, might want to get that check out sooner than latter

7. 1999frontier

from NC

Would you be on the look out for a new truck before I got into any major transmission issues?

8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it were me, probably not if the truck is otherwise in good shape and it suits your needs. $3K or so for a major transmission/torque converter repair is a lot less than $35K for a new truck. However, if the truck is starting to fall apart it might be time to dump it. To make money your truck needs to be on the road, not in the shop.

9. Rob R.

Rob R. LawnSite Member

Have you checked the level of the transmission fluid?

10. DaveOhio

DaveOhio LawnSite Member

mix a handful of medium sawdust into half a pint of warm atf and add to tranny via dipstick. Wipe the spout clean.

Advertise the truck on Craigs exclusively to roofers.