What's your average speed, be honest.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Sep 4, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What's your average speed mowing. I know there are mowers including mine that will run 15 but on the average yard I probably average between5-9 mph. As some Dixies guys told me there not alot of lawns you can run 15 around here. I was mowing (more like bushogging after 6 days of rain) 2 week lawns today probably only going 5-6 mph on the Lazer for a good cut. I could run close to wide open on a flat, football field type yard if it were smooth and mowed once per week but not on my lawns. I do go full speed blowing clippings.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

7 or 8 probably

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on which mower - mine, probably 4-5. my buddie's deere - probably 7-8

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm right there with you Tacoma200. If I do a double cut it's balls to the walls but the first cut is usually in the 6 to 9 range.

5. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I some where around 5mph. Some I have I can really move on. Some of them that I have 3 mph nearly beats your guts out. Most of them I try to keep it at around 6 or 7mph. I could do better with a suspension seat.

6. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

3-5 mph unless the grass is completely dry, then we can crank the speed up.
    If we do any double cutting that is always at full speed with the deck raise .5 inches to break up clumps/blow clippings around.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I have lawns and small acreage where tractors and skid steers have dragged many trees off from Katrina. The turf is gouged up really rough. 3 mph indeed beats your guts out. Customers are naturally going to complete the house before they worry too much about repairing the turf, and I know now is not the time to push the idea.

I've been thinking about a Deere rider in the 300 or 400 series or maybe an old Farmall Loboy with belly mower because of the huge tires. Cut quality is no issue at all, just get it cut, and it is taking too long with too much pain.

Sproul, do you use your Deere for the roughest ground? Any thoughts you or anyone has on this is appreciated.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

4-5 mph is all thats practical with the Z 9-12mph with a gang and some room to move

9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

4-5 MPH with the broadmoor, a real nice ride at this speed.

10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

double post........