What's your bid on this...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by twins_lawn_care, Sep 23, 2003.

1. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Just got shot down on a estimate, by almost half!

Wanted to know what you guys would bid on the following, so I can see if I was in the ball park.

Remove grass from 20' by 6' section.
    Lay down weed mat material
    Install simple edging
    lay down pea gravel to 2" depth

Estimate needs to be for all materials and labor...
    basic final cost to the customer.

I'd really like some feedback on this, as I felt my price was fair, and got undercut BAD :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

Thanks for the help!

2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Assuming you have to haul away the sod, I'm ballparking $250-$275, depending on access, location, etc. How much was your estimate?

3. twins_lawn_care

I'll be happy to share my estimate after I get a few others, don't want to skew anyone's thoughts.
    Thanks for the reply though, and keep em coming!

4. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 LawnSite Member

i did a 25x10 area this spring for $450. That guy that bid half of yours is gonna be in for a surprise when he has to dig all that sod out. Assuming he is gonna do that and not cut any corners.

5. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Id say $300 with easy access. If its a PITA backyard then $350. HT whole job should only take 4-5 man hours plus materials

6. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

300-400 depends on Access

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm going with 300 as well.

8. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I'm not sure what the pea gravel, weed mat and edging material would cost. But I'm guessing $40 to $80 plus another $20 to dump the sod at the city dump. I'd add at least another $10 to $20 for gasoline.

First, figure you've already invested an hour just to look up the customer's address on the map, drive out there, meet with the customer, get your costs, get your proposal and present the pricing to the customer. Maybe more, maybe less, but you've spent time getting to this point.

Before you start, you have to drive to the Home Depot or wherever to buy your materials, stand in line to pay and then drive to the customer's place. If you save enough money getting your pea gravel elsewhere, figure even more time. But I'd figure at least an hour for this chore.

As for the sod cutting time, I have no experience with this at all. Since I have no experience with this, I'd estimate this high, since I'd rather be high than low. I would conservatively guess 3 hours to dig up 120 sq ft of sod and load it on the trailer. Maybe more, maybe less. But I'd guess 3 hours should be pretty safe...it's gonna be pretty hard work though.

Next, figure on an hour or two to put down the barrier edging, put down the weed mat and put down the pea gravel.

Also, remember there will be clean up too. You won't want to leave mud all over the driveway, sidewalk and street. If it's been rainy and you have to drag out the customer's hose to wash off the pavement...I'd figure some time for this...maybe half an hour.

Then, you have to drive to the city dump, wait in line behind all the garbage trucks and unload. Shovelling all that sod will be work too. I'd figure on an hour and half here.

How many hours is that? I figure 8 to 9 hours by the time it's all said and done. If you're happy with $40 per hour, add $320 to your actual costs, which I would figure would be around $70 to $120. Proposal would be $390 to $450, depending on actual costs.

At least, that's how I'd go about bidding this. You can mark it up or down depending on how baldy you need the work. There are excuses I could present myself with to get the price down if I needed to, but at the end of the day, all I'd be doing is grossing less per hour.

If somebody wants to cut that $390 to $450 in half, I don't see how they could do it and make any money at the end of the year.

Later,
    DFW, TX

9. twins_lawn_care

I appreciate all your help. Makes me feel more confident in the bid we gave.
    Our bid was $305. They got a bid for $150!
    We figured we would just stand back, and check out the results.
    No way we're touching that for that price. We'd probably get mostly $6 per man hour! NO THANK YOU

Keep the estimates coming in, or any other comments.
    Just for the record, we figured on:
    $120 materials
    $180 labor

10. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I did a sod removal 6'x15-18'/ install 1.5 yards of topsoil job two weeks ago. I had my fiance w/ me since she had nothing to do that day but it took us about 20 minutes to cut and load sod and another 20 minutes to dump and spread topsoil, this was b/c the area was right next to the driveway. I charged $150. Had $30 in topsoil, about 2 hours in labor, included half drive time since I had another 3 yards topsoil for a nother job. That is as far as I would go for $150 if that helps.