1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's your biggest account?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Feb 17, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I got a call the other day to bid on a hospital and nursing home combo. The site is 20 acres total with several sidewalks and curbs, some planting beds and trees. The biggest thing I have done to date is probably half this size and I have no idea what the bids have been in the past so I'm flying blind. I was wondering what large complexes others have and how big are they. I'm estimating this one to take 5 to 7 hours to complete and my bid has been sent. The guy called and wanted to verify my mowing price per cut, he was unsure if it meant per cut or per month :D! He asked for a price per occurence, that's what he got. I guess I shocked him and so far haven't heard back. I ain't doin' this for nothing, I already broke my own policy by bidding on it so I'll either make money or let it slide right on to the lowballers.

Any thoughts?
  2. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't it something how they do that baloney! Unsure if its price per cut or per month..."Oh I'm sorry you're right that price is wrong. That was for the little place down the road..yours is twice that...my mistake."
    We bid on a subdivision and an airport last year. Took tons of time preparing and setting a fair win/win agreement for all involved. We weren't even close. Then as the summer went on every time we went by we thought...where would we ever find the time to get that job done!

My partner said it best "Would you want to cut it for any less?"
  3. HOMER

I might give a little on the mowing price, but just a little. It is a 2 year contract so the job would get easier over time. What these people don't seem to understand is there is 20 acres of trash that has to be picked up, limbs, sticks etc.........they think you just hop on and ride.......
  4. Homer I just can't understand why you don't get a outdoor and indoor pesticide license. Don't your existing customers need this service? Is there not a need for fire ant control and indoor bug control almost year round "down south"?

I would guess your min. investment would be $500 in equipment. You are already at these job sites so any billing is almost pure profit less materials.

Having a pesticide license is a license to steal. You are now are not condidered a $20/hr lawnboy (thus increasing your economic and social status). Homer when I apply pesticies I always gross over a $100 per hour. That's close to what a small town lawyer can bill per hour.
  5. HOMER

Lawrence, I'm slowly cracking the books! I will get it as this is the next phase of my operation. If I can't get folks to spend money on mowing I'm sure gonna have trouble convincing them to spray a bug they can't see.........nonetheless I'm gonna do it and I will let you know when the big day arrives.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

20+ Acre (2 Joint Gate Town Home Community)for a builder of this community & the over taking Home Owners Assocation

When we first bid on this ... of the 3 bids we were 2nd (the highest bidder is HUGE does almost every Comm Gated Area in the Vero Golf coarse homes area)

anyways the lowest bid got it (and they got what they payed fore) and 6 months later the phone rang .....the first cut had an extra "clean-up" charge ....they called 3 working days before the president of the builder comp was doing an inspection ......3.5 years later and we still get work from this builder ....service, service, service !! (just like location, location, location)

2 year contract with a 5% price increase at renewal.....we sub out the pest control with a 5% over-head charge ......other-wise full blown service contract ...kinda lucky down here ALL Contract are Yearly based on a monthly fee ...No Real Per cuts on Large Jobs
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Homer, if it truly took about 7 hours to complete this job, I would charge $500. This is according to my overhead and profit expectations. I am a one man operation. 20 acres by yourself would be very difficult to complete by yourself so I assume you may mean 14 hours labor. In which case I would add 7 hours for a lawnboy apprentice's wages + additional overhead + additional profit + pain in rear for having another employee= about $700. I say go for it (especially since it is a 2 yr. contract) and Good Luck.
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Im bettin you end up with the contract.
    Just one like that would subsidise everything
    else i do.
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

When I took the the test it was so I could
    get a license that everyone in the company
    could work off of.I got two books to study.
    When I went for thetest everyone else had
    been studying a third book also ,that Id
    never seen.I started to not take the test
    but the boss said take it since youre
    already there.I passed it as so much was
    process of elimination an some common
    sense questions.Im telling this so if
    any one is avoiding it will know its not that