whats your biggest tip ??? ($$$$ wise)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sandgropher, Sep 1, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a few venison steaks and sausages - one time he even invited me in for a bowl of venison stew mmmmm tasty. Of course there's the cookies and milk, gatorades, pops, bottled water, etc. $10 or 20 here and there. But I'd take the steaks over the cash anyday.

Edit - I forgot about something. Quite possibly the biggest "tip" I've ever gotten. However, it wasn't really a tip. One of my mowing clients had this 1979 tow behind camper thing which had been sitting in his back yard for 10 years. He wanted it GONE and offered it to me. Well I knew it would be worth some dough on Ebay so I pumped up the tires and pulled it away. Got $900 on Ebay!

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a couple of customers that give $100 at Xmas but most of them give $20's and restaurant gift cards. Last Xmas I got about $600 total

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

IMO, if you get tips then you should be charging more....

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

IMO if you don't get tips you must be a rude d*ckhead to customers

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

lmao

I get tips once in a great while, and I'm not a rude d*ckhead :confused: Most I've got was 25 bucks. My old boss used to always say, the best tip he ever got was to leave town and marry a rich woman. No value there, but very good tip indeed.

6. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

A customer I picked up a couple of years ago has a large property she use to take care of herself. When she hired me she sold her hydro scagg and tried to sell me her 48" ferris with a 15 kaw. engine , belt drive like new.{ she had help come in to use her equipment} I told her I wasnt intrested and a week later she gave it to me . Not a bad deal.

7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

what did you give her in return? a little lovin?:laugh:

8. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Shes a nice lady but very large .

9. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

OK, here's where "making friends" (no, not the prurient sort) is good for business. Over the past 15 years, I've received thousands of dollars worth of assorted stuff from my clients. Clothes & new shoes (designer) for resale, incredible stereo equipment, Ionic Breeze air purifiers (3), furniture (too much to list), brand new dishwasher, brand new double hung, double width, super-insulated window, Oriental rugs, and on and on and on. I have great clients!

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

During the summer, customers are offering me bottled water, soda, gatorade etc. I recived a few $100 christmas tips over the past few years.