1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

whats your biggest tip ??? ($$$$ wise)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sandgropher, Sep 1, 2006.

1. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

funny,i read this before i went to work today and a first time customer gave me a 40 dollar tip. i have had many tips the biggest being $300 simply because i stuck to the oringinal quote

2. MoviePimp

MoviePimp LawnSite Member
    from IN

You know what they say about big girls..:laugh: :laugh: . Really I have one of those that has hinted about half dozen times that should would like to tip me non-monetarily. Yikes....I'm glad I use a helper when I mow her yard, for the very least to drive the getaway car. I sure wish she would trade brains with some of hotties we mow for. I might get a five or ten tossed my way every once in awhile but not consistently. Once have a guy try to tip me with some weed. I was like hey that looks like I scraped it of the bottom of my mower deck :nono: . "They see me rolling. They hating. They trying to catch me riding dirty, catch me riding dirty....."

3. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Never got a tip. Mostly cause my clients are commercial/condominiums.
    Got a can of pop once. Oh, and a lot of dog poop that I skip...lol

I guess my best tip is I make on average 1.5 k after expenses a day on commercial mowing and renovations. Don't really need a tip with those numbers.

Usually, I reckon residential will give tips cause they know the lco is not making much and not getting rich quick...:cry:

4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

a few broken mowers and $10 here and there

5. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

My biggest tip?

A one time mow........ lady told me about "a place in her back yard that has some bee like things." Turned out it was 3 yellow jacket nests all within about 5 feet of each other. Never seen anything like it. They were constantly flying in and out of those holes, and I couldn't get within in 10 feet of them. I went back that night with 2 gallons of gas and took care of those critters. They would have eaten me up if she hadn't "tipped" me about them.

6. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend who mowed grass for an old couple that had no children. After the husband died he would help the wife feed the animals on the farm every day before work. One day he found her dead in her home. Died of old age. She left everything to him in her will. The farm, stock, money, cars, everything If he promised to take care of the animals till they died. Needless to say he was shocked.

7. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Today i got a $100 for a $70 job, is it just me or do people have a lot more money in there pockets these day??? Italian lady gave me a plate of pizza this morning to ( and coffee)

8. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Yes there is some sense in that sometimes, a couple of times jobs have taken longer than i thought and the customers can sense that and will give you more at the end of job,it all helps.:)

9. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

that is a good point.........but believe it or not some people do understand that humans have been paying for there goods and services for thousands of years and some even appreciate it more than others

10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i get a few tips when i do a cleanup or something other than mowing. one guy i got a good self propelled COMMERCIAL mower from, and a few other tools that he was going to sell off and offered them to me.