what's your brand of motor oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluegrass Lawn Service, Jan 26, 2001.

1. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Just wondering for a couple of reasons what kind of motor you guys use in your koler engines. I had some trouble with mind droping lifters a year or so ago. I was using 10w40 valveoline. Then my dealer's mechanic told me to switch to rotella oil 15/40 . I've been running that ever since. I change my oil every week and oil filter every other week. So as you can see I use a lot of oil in 4 mowers. I want to buy my oil in a 55 gal drum this spring and I'm thinking about changeing. Rotella is almost twice as much as valveoline. Don't know if I'm spelling that right or not.
    Eric and you guys tell me what you use.
    Tell me what you use in your pumps. Dixie calls for 15 40 so I use rotella there too.

2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Pennzoil 30wt and Mobile 1, 10w30

3. zipp669

zipp669 LawnSite Member

JUst some info i have learned from experience.
    If it is a kohler engine run kohler oil & filters. anything goes wrong under warrenty & you are not using it, no more warranty.
    Also read the label. where it says type like ag & ac and all that stuff. kohler oil is rated the same as oil for a diesel engine. compare the kohler oil to valvoline & a diesel oil & you will see the difference. you are better to run diesel oil than oil you run in a gas liquid cooled engine.
    I also switched all my regular kohler air filters to turbo cleaners & it helped the oil alot.
    I change oil every 50 hours, I have 3 exmark lazers, a 1995 22hp 60" with 1750hrs, a 96 25hp 60 with 2350 hrs & just got a 26/72 with 248 in the 2000 season.
    A really good oil I use is northland ..it is one of the best, but not in mowers.
    hope this helps

4. zipp669

zipp669 LawnSite Member

The reason I say no more warranty is they will test the oil & check the filter.

5. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I was planning to use Castrol RX super 15w/40 in my 26efi
    kohler,but the dealer told me I had to run 10w/30 or I would
    lose warranty. This is a pain for me as 10w/30 is not a common grade over here.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Pennzoil SAE 30, all the way.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm using Mobil 1 10w30 in everything I own. Mowers, cars truck. Oil filters are Puralator Pure 1.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I used to run Havoline 10-30. I now run Castrol 10-30 and can really tell a difference. The Havoline seems to disappear real easy, the Castrol hangs in there. I run a Carquest filter, made by Wix. Ain't paying $10.00 for an oil filter!

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Mobil 1 Synthetic.
    All flavors different apps.

If they come off Gm's Vette line filled with it, its good enough for me.

10. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

1993 Walker w 20HP Kolher. Running Mobil 1 10w30w and NAPA oil filters,gas filter, and air filter. Have not had any problems so far. Engine seems to run cooler with the
    Mobil 1 in her. To each his own.
    Mowman