Whats your broadleaf control of choice?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I know I am a little early, especially for us northern guys, but what have you guy had success with. Share some knowledge. I was looking into Momentum, but at this point still have an open mind...

2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Speedzone in spring and fall.
    Last year used Battleship in warm weather but am going to try Surge this year. (Battleship off the market)

3. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

SpeedZoone on new customers. After we get some control we maintain it with Lesco Three Way. Three way cost less than half of the SpeedZone. Speedzone Rocks! Lots of complements from clients. PR

4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

You will probably get quite a few opinions on this, but the bottom line is that the best choice will be more than one product. Esters work better than amines in cool temps, amines are less volatile in warmer temps, a basic 2,4d, MCPP, Dicammba mix is hard to beat for many weeds, but hard to control may require something more. One thing that is changing the efficiency of herbicides are additives like carfentrozone (quicksilver) that can make a common weed control product into a superstar.

5. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

How much is speedzone?

6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Goto lesco.com and look it up...its more than I can afford!!

7. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

different chems for different weeds and different times of the year.

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I mostly use a three-way like Lescos, Trimec or Triplett. It is cheaper and controls most weeds. Multiple applications will get harder to control weeds. I use to like mixing Confront and Triplett to get ground ivy and thistles. A product needs to do the job and satisfy the customer, otherwise it too expensive.

9. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

We paid $152.83 for a 2.5 gal jug. We put it down at 1.36 oz per K. Comes out to $0.65 per K. Lesco Three Way we paid $55.62 2.5 gal jug. We put it down at 1.02 oz per K. Comes out to $0.17 per K. PR

10. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

Whatever weed control you choose, make sure to add a surfactant (sticker). It will raise your percent of control significantly at a nominal expense. It will especially help with those weeds with a waxy cuticle because it will help the active ingredient stick to the weed as opposed to beading up and running off of it.