What's your choice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaufmaninc, Mar 30, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

Let's leave brand name out of this discussion. I've got 3 properties that range from 3 down to 1.2 acres. The remainder range from 1.2 down to 5000 sq. I probably won't search out any properties any larger than 3 acres but will focus on the 1 acre lots. I'm also just starting out & was wondering what size of mower I should get. If I get one too big, I won't be able to do some of the smaller properties but still want to utilize my time as best I can. I've got everything except the large mower. I don't want to buy 2 mowers, just one. I will keep this a part time business until next year. Woud you go W/B, if so what size or ZTR? I want to start this right & not have to regroup next year. Thanks

2. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

ZTR---my 60in tiger does all but 3 of the lawns my 48in w/b used to do. Out of these three two have steep hills in tight areas and one requires driving to mower over a 54in wide footbridge. If you have room in the budget and on the trailer buy a ZTR.

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

52"or 60" Zero turn rider. 3 acres is too much walking. A sulky on a walk-behind can beat you up if the properties are rough. :) ;) :) ED

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta say I really love my ZTR, but, if I could only have one machine, it would probably have to be a WB. Definately Hydro.

In my area, there are hills to contend with that only a WB can do.

Gates, or other confined spaces sometimes keep a ZTR out.
    but any prop big enough for a large WB to be needed usually will not only have one small gate.

I know you said leave brand name out of it, but I've heard the eXmark self steering sulky works well... I haven't used one, and I don't know if anyone else makes a sit-down sulky like it.

Now...... If hills, confined spaces, or purchase price are not major problems....... go w/ZTR :cool:

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use my 60" ZTR on every property I do. I currently have 40 customers ranging from 4,000 sq ft to 2 acres. I used to use a 50" Gravely walkbehind with a sitdown sulky but the 60" ZTR is way, way, way faster.

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Our 60" and 61" ZTRs do the job. I don't ever see anyone going for the walk-behind on our trailer, unless it's really needed :D We have a lot of lawns in the 5,000 to 10,000 sq. ft. size.

7. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I would definitely get a 60 or 52. I use 60's on all our lawns.

If i were in your shoes, i think a 52 would suffice for now.