What's your education or training?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sodzilla, Jan 31, 2004.

1. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what some of you guys have for education or training in lawn care. This will be my first year. I joined PLCAA and am taking their certified turfgrass professional program through the University of Georgia. My friend's ex-wife has a bachelor's degree in turf management and works for a golf course. Just wanted to know what other people have for education or if you just learned as you went.
  2. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I studied at a Tec collage (its called TAFE here) I've got cert 2 in horticulture, a 12 month corse. It goes up to Cert 5 so it's not that full on. The good thing about TAFE is I could pick and chose my units to make up the full coarse. I chose to incorperate alot of turf management units into the coarse. In 05' I'd like to do "Parks and Gardens cert 3" lots of good stuff in that coarse.
  3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

This state has a some tough tests and qualifications to become a landscape contractor in "all-phases", which I went through... and I was also part of the OSU extension service, but what I feel has been the best education for my business has been the knowledge gained from working for other people in the past. I think that if you enjoy this kind of work and always want to better yourself, then you've won half the battle. Your clients will see it in you too.

Do your best, because what you plant now, you will harvest later.
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have a degree in Horticulture. Fixing to join the PLCAA and the NCLA.
  5. just Cuts

just Cuts LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I worked for fithteen years for a large landscape company. I was sent to different courses thruogh them. You can go to any course you want and have any degree, but nothing beats what you learn in the field and from other workers.
  6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Just Cuts.............Too right! Nothing beats hands on experiance. I don't care how many degrees you have.............It's getting out there and doing it in the feild that brings the knowlege home.

Hey..... I've learned more than "Tafe" could ever teach me from working "in the field". A good coarse in Hort or Turf managment is a bloody good start though. Ya one step ahead of the others IMO.
    Somtimes ya need that enitial education to be able to further your self. Once ya got the basics it's in the bag. It just takes time.

Lifes short...........Be good at what ya do and most importantly enjoy it! If ya don't ya may as well stay in bed.

Being educated has helped me enjoy and be good at what I do. If I had not done the coarse I would still be fumbling around in the dark on soil structure, plant anatomy etc. It's an important factor..........no matter what ya do!
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

3 years at a technical school studying landscape design and management. I agree....nothing beats experience out in the feild.
  8. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

I graduated from H.K.U. (Hard Knocks University). Hands on training is very valuable, but the more knowledge you have, the better.
  9. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

All my training and experience has come from getting out there and doing it. Lawnsite has provided me with a wealth of that knowledge that has helped me in the field. Reading books, books, and more books. Alot of trial and error.
  10. Lance720

Lance720 LawnSite Member

ISA Certified Arborist, IPM Diploma, Certified Maintenance Technician through the British Columbia Landscape and Nursury Assoc.

I agree with you to a point just cuts. It really depends on who your learning from. Sounds like you had a posative rolemodel.