Whats your experience with college?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stihl036pro, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Stihl036pro

Stihl036pro LawnSite Member

Did you ever wish that you went to college? I know if I went to college I would not have very much equipment but I would have that degree. I hated school and did not want to put the effort into college, I would have rather put the effort into building my business. Which I did. I wonder if I would be farther ahead in life if I went to school. I have nice equipment that is paid for expect for my new truck. It sometimes bothers me that I don't have a degree in landscaping or somthing along the lines of the green industry. Whats your experience with college?

2. jmcooper

jmcooper LawnSite Member

My previous employer of 18 years had a program where they would pay 75% of college tuition. I worked full time and went to school at night. It took me 8 years but I got a Bachelors degree in business. Best thing I ever did, it helps me in my business practices today.

3. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

I have been working for others and going to school till last summer. It took 8 years to get a Bachelors in Electronic Engineering. After I finished, I realised Landscaping is what like to do. So in my case it didn't help. I could have started years ago without a ton of student loan debt. Now I am refinancing my home to pay them off and get my start up capital. So I am now behind in my opinion. The only good that came out of it to me was that I have a Degree to hang on the wall and I learned alot of Hardscape over the past couple years in addition to the years of maintenance and softscape.

4. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I went to college in the early 80's. I majored in business. It means nothing to my current day business. I had Algebra, Trig, etc. I could not work an algebra or trig problem now to save my life. Back then I breezed through it. It was too long ago and irrelevant to most real world situations these days. Back when I was in college there were no pc's, internet, pda's, laptops. Man, I must be old.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I went to college, complete waste of time I feel. I did get the best sleep though in the classes. College is too much lecture, and it need sto be more hands on

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can read this ...... thank a teacher

Than one of my favorite

A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education he may steal the whole railroad.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919) American president

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

im in 10th grade now and plan on attending college. i need to have somthing to fall back on, as does everyone. its alwasys goof to have a back-up, incase you have a sudden change in career, or you just dont make it in this biz.

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I went to college. Got an education, and the degree I have is pretty much worthless. I happen to like school and learning new things. I still take classes at the local community college. I enjoy reading and learning. But the purpose of getting an education in order to get a job is not for everyone. I wish I had a little better idea of what I wanted before I went to school, wouldn't have wasted a lot of time taking classes to get a job. School isn't for everyone, and I believe many people don't need a full college education to have a job in this world.

9. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

I went right into the car business after high school and It was the best thing I ever did. I was pretty "green" and after 3 years of selling I know more than I really want to about how people work in the real world. Plus I LOVE the car business and Its a job where you can go anywhere and make a great living. I feel that although you may have a degree, it does not mean you will be successful. Plus I'm very stubborn and did not want someone to teach me how to be successful. Over half (that's almost 50%, LOL)of all milloinaire's never went to college let alone graduated high school! They had an idea and ran with it no matter what people said.

In no way did I mean to be negative in this reply what so ever. Im not one of those guys who wishes they had and didn't. Plus I'm only 22, and was accepted to a very good private school, but to each his own, Im happy and that all that matters. And I'm spent! :D

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I graduated from college with a BS in Communications. I have to say that more than anything I grew up in college. I grew to be independent from my parents and learned to work for myself and not to please others. I am proud of my degree but I don't use it. I left the communications field because I hated it.....I am now a full time firefighter with a respectable part-time LCO business. I am a better and happier person because of it.

College was a great 4 years....great memories, friends and a great wife came from it.

Derek