1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats Your farthest travel time for jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tuscanvalleylandscaping, Jan 12, 2006.

1. tuscanvalleylandscaping

tuscanvalleylandscaping LawnSite Member

I am interested in seeing what your farthest travel time for a job is. There is a area that is just exploding with 1 -2 million dollar homes on 2 different golf courses but its 45 min away from my shop. i do sprinkler systems & lawn maintance i think i could market this area and pick up a enough accounts to make it worth my while. i also have accounts half way there already. I would be willing to add a another crew to work this area what to you think.:blob1:
  2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

To make travel to that are worth your wild, all you need is a day worth of mowing there! Thats all.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you're already halfway there, why not?
  4. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well I had a little different situation. I got a contract that paid VERY well because of the travel and they want one company to take care of all the properties. I traveled an about 600 miles round trip in one week. I had 2 routes of 250 mile round trip for 2 days and then a smaller route of 75 miles round trip one day. 2.5 days of work paid very very well.

That being said, it would be hard to travel 45 miles away to start from scratch. But if they aren't going to pay more, then why would you if you can stay busy closer to your shop. If your are not full, then try and devote a day to it. Even with driving 250 miles in one day I would still average 60+ an hour, and they paid a fuel surcharge for my driving. But if they would have paid "what the market will bear" then no way would I have done it. Looking to double this year.
  5. tuscanvalleylandscaping

tuscanvalleylandscaping LawnSite Member

I know i will market it for sprinkler installs but just not sure about maintance. I have a crew that i can trust for that. Its just keeping a crew that is that far away for mowing not sure about.
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

45 Min. is too far IMO, what happens when your stuck in rush hour traffic.
    Im thinking of going to an area that is about 25 mins away, which is pushing it to me, when 90% of my work is 3-5 mins away from me.
  7. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree! If you can make a day out of it, then it is worth it. Plus, we charge for travel time... it is in our bidding prices.

For me personally, I travel 1.5-2 hrs presently for a job. It takes longer to drive both ways than it does to do the job, however, it is bid on a 30 man hour day. Thus, my guys (3) stay on site as long as needed, which totals no more than six hours, to make sure that everything is tight. Even though we travel that far, somehow the locals won't touch it for our price. And believe me, our profit margin on that property is in the neighborhood of 30%.

When I worked in Atlanta, you may only be 20 miles from a job, but with traffic and the commute time, it may take you an hour or more to get there. So we made sure that travel time is included on each job.
  8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

as long as the moneys right traveling doesn't scare me.. i would send my guys to south carolina if the money was right... lol
    but i know it wouldn't happen..
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

12 miles from my house. It's just one lawn and about 4 miles from an area that I am already in. I have two others that are on the opposite side of town that I sub out. They are in areas that I would rather not be anyway, so no big deal to me.
  10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I have a crew that all they do is travel daily, from 30 miles to 126 miles each way. They even spend the night on Tuesdays because they have 2 full days worth in the area they are at on Tue and Wed. I find that it is cheaper fro me to pay for a motel room than the gas would be with pulling a heavily loaded 18' trailer. BUT, they only do Commercial properties and are averging $100 a man hour, so that is why I do it. For residential theres no way I'd even consider it unless I had as someone else said, a very full day and even then it would have to average more per man hour than I could make lwith the same crew and equipment locally.