1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite replacement trimmer head ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffyr, Jul 6, 2001.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

It's that time. I am using the Echo head that came on the trimmer. Any suggestions ?

Do any of you use a manual head ? Any other choices ?
    I have used the trimmers I own with the heads that came on them so I am not sure what to buy. I already own a couple spools for the echo, so I may just wind up with that again, but would like suggestions.

2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

We also have an echo trimmer and changed the head on it. We put a stihl head on it, probably the main factor in choosing the head was we have good luck with out stihl trimmers and now all the spools are interchangeable. Just my .02 good luck with your decision.

3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I use the alloy universal heads. I cut induvidual lengths of line around 18" long. A lot less to go wrong with them,and I find trimmer
    line lasts a bit longer as well. We use them on Stihl FS108 and
    Shindaiwa C350.
  4. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

I don't have much of a choice. :rolleyes:

I've got a Black & Decker GH400 .. with auto line feed, so I have to use the Black & Decker replacement spool. :eek:
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm using a manual on the 'ol Homelite right now, but when I get my Sthil FS 85 RT next year, I'm going to get the Super Cut, which is fully automatic. I've used both and prefer the automatic ones because everytime you bump the head, it has to touch the ground in order to put out more line, and in most cases it kinda "scalps" right where you do it. Just my .02
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use Veri heads on my Shindaiwa T-230s. This is the same head that comes on Echos from the factory. I like these heads because they hold a lot of line, they're easy to change spools on and you can rewind line back into them without taking the head apart. This last item is important to me because I run my trimmers without the guard and ocassionally I'll run too much line out.
  7. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I changed all three of my stock echo heads ( all Echo SRM 2601 or 260)
    to the Sthil 25-2 head. I like the ease of putting new spools in. No more threading the needle. Just insert spool and pull line on both sides down through the guides. Also the spools take up less room in your pocket (back-up spool). Heads and spools cost a little more but I think it's money well spent. If anyone wants to try this there's an adapter nut available through Sthil to fit most popular brands.
  8. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I will most likely just get an echo replacement since I will have 2 extra spools for it.

Hey scag,

if you need to let loose on some line on the grass and there is a tree or fence post near you just flip the trimmer vertically (like edging) and tap the bottom on the post or stump. It won't damage it and no more scalps. I am tall so I have also stuck out my workboot and tapped the head on the tip to release line.
    It beats a bald patch on the grass !

9. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

We have used the greenmachine heads for many years.I have them on all my trimmers.They are easy to take apart and you can buy parts individually or as a complete head.Just change the arbor to adapt to your trimmer.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just make sure that I tap the head levl, and it doesn't seem to scalp. I used manual heads for years, but prefer the bump heads, because they are so easy to adjust. If I end up with a little too much line out, I can just push the knob in and turn, and the string goes right back in. Different lengths for different conditions. When running down fence or something, where the string gets ate up and shorter and shorter, I just bump it without even stopping. You just can't get much more productive than that. I do stop once in a while to "resharpen" with a pair of hand pruners I carry in my back pocket. That's only if I come off of some rocks or cement or something though and the string is frayed. Fenceline, the string is self-sharpening.