What's your favorite skidloader work?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tallrick, Jul 2, 2007.

1. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

For all of you that run them, what do you enjoy using your loader for the most? My favorite skid-steer work is storm cleanup. Loading trucks, dumpsters and trailers, picking up debris and cutting up downed trees. Second favorite work is lot clearing. Some guys I know preferred landscape construction, driveway installation, but strangely the cleanup and small scale demo is what I always went for. Not that I ever get to do that work anymore, but still my favorite. Just curious to see how everyone else thinks.

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I personally like grading and moving material.........that is fun for me. The work I do not like is any work that pays the same as regular work but beats my machine to heck.......not just skid, but any of my equipment. If it is crumby conditions and crumby work that trashes my equipment, I either pass or add a whole lot more to my rates........for me, there is too much work out there right now to subject my equipment to accelerated wear for the same work that is easier on the equipment........

3. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

That's exactly the kind of stuff I enjoy most: cleaning and clearing. I mostly do new construction stuff, some driveways, some grading, "roughing in" landscaping... but the stuff I really enjoy is to take an overgrown mess and turn it into something clean and neat.

4. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

YEA!!!! I second that! We are doing this job next week where we have to clear saplings and brush on a hill-side around this sediment pond....gonnna be lots of fun!!!post pics sooon.

5. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

If I was close by you could count on my help if you wanted it.

6. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have dug ditches leveled barn pads, graded and sloped some lots for run off. I think my favorite is grading and leveling barn pads. I have not done a bunch of work yet but there is something nice about taking something and making it look like a road when it's done.

7. Fieldman12

Im the same as the rest here Im not interested in work that is going to tear my machine up or beat it to death. If I need the work that bad I will rent a machine to do the job but most likely pass. Why make a few hundred if it is going to cost you thousands of wear and tear on your machine?

8. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Just wonder what is the most hours you ever seen on a john deere 300 series skid steer? I seen a 320 with 5,800 hours on:dizzy:

9. roguesuerte

roguesuerte LawnSite Member

Demolition of small buildings/decks. Extremely gratifying to topple structures in less than an hour.

10. Fieldman12

I have not really seen any of the 300 series yet with high hours since they have not been out very long. My 250 II which is the same machine size as the 320 has over 2,000 hours on it. For a while there I thought around here Cat was taking most of the market from Bobcat and then Deere. Latley all I have seen is a bunch of 200 Series and 200 Series II Deeres and several of the 300 seriers are around also. They are stealing the market big time around here no matter which direction you go an hour from here. Case seems to be declining around here for some reason and so is New Holland.