whats your favorite weed controls all year long

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rob.C, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

Whats your favorite weed control all year long, for cooler temps I like 2-4D and for warmer temps I like lesco 3-way.

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

uhh...

3-way has 2,4D in it. "3-way" is just a commercial name.

"2-4D" is the prefix in 2,4-Dichloro phenoxy acetic acid. The 2 and 4 indicates where the chlorine atoms are on the benzine molecule. By itself 2,4D is an acid, but they have created derivatives, and thats how they come up with different types of weed killer products for us. I'm sure you've heard of the "ester" or "amine"(salt).

Ever read the label on 3-way?

Guess not. :hammerhead:

3. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

better guess again my friend, I dont use lesco's 3-way all year long, I know it has 2-4D in it but at a lower concentration, I use 2-4D by riverdale, unlike u who probaly uses weed be gone (LmAO), I have been running my own company for 9 1/2 years, so dont tell me I cant read a label. :nono: :hammerhead:

4. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

For cooler temps under 75 degrees I use Lescos Ester 2 and above 75 degrees I use Triplett Low-odor with Quick Silver. For hard to control weeds like violet I use Drive mixed with Quick Silver and get excellent control.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

speedzone all year q-4 when needed

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about Lesco's 3 way ester perhaps?

In the insecticide thread you said that you prefer Merit for grubs over Allectus not knowing that Merit and Talstar make up Allectus.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our current favorite is Dimension, but I don't know of any year-long weed control. We have some large accounts that wish only two apps per year -- once the broadleaf pressure has been lowered, we have pretty good luck with an April app of Dimension, then a fall app of Mecamine-D. Fert included both times. Chemicals are needed, but I think the best weed control for all year is proper mowing.

8. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

That I can understand, I did word that oddly, I prefer straight merit,not a mix. I do know that talstar and merit make up allectus.

9. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

I totaly agree, Quick silver is great. I get great controll with it, exspeacialy on violets, I use it mainly in spring and fall.

10. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

"OMGLMFAO" You're so funny. I don't use weed-b-gone. And I also don't start stupid posts asking stupid questions like "what's everyone's favorite gas to buy?"

You make this forum sound like "Commercial Lawn Mowing"