1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats your formulas?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by RickL1700, Feb 6, 2012.

1. RickL1700

RickL1700 LawnSite Member

How do I figure the Sq Footage of a yard? Just lxw? what if it is uneven like 100 on one side and 65 on the other side and 50 by 70 on front and back? Is that how you determine sq ft of a yard. Also how do you figure the # of yards of mulch you need per area? Thanks and sorry if its should be common sense, I just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way.
  2. atasteofnature

atasteofnature LawnSite Senior Member

3. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to develop the ability to segment the property. Get a pad and paper and measure each segment separately. Add them all up and there you go! It takes some time, but you will get the hang of it.
  4. p2000sk

p2000sk LawnSite Member

The square footage of a yard is 9 square feet!

Seriously though, if you are simply measuring total turf area...
    A quick thing to do might be to figure the total area of the lot, then deduct area of structures such as driveway, house, shed, pool, etc.
    What you have left is area of turf. Homeowner might think my suggestion strange (you measuring their driveway and such), so maybe you follow someone else idea.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  5. RickL1700

Lol thank you I was just curious about the measurements and if its worth it. I just look at a property walk it and figure in my head how long to mow, trim, edge, blow and add it all together and if its 2 hrs then I'll charge my normal hourly rate x2 and i didn't know if it was better or made much difference to measure
  6. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Thanksman

Thanksman LawnSite Platinum Member

agreed :usflag:
  8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I always measure the property. Eliminate error on my part so I don't undercharge and lose money or over bid and lose money because I did not get the account.

You appear more professional when you approach the customer with the price based on sf instead of them thinking you pulled some number out of the air that they would be willing to pay.

Also by having the sf when meeting with the customer you can up sell aerating, lime, fertilizer. It's showing the customer you are organized and know what you are doing.
  9. RickL1700

Yeah that does make you look better and it does help with everything you said. Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Hughes Landscaping

Hughes Landscaping LawnSite Member

You need to determine square feet (length x width) and then convert it into cubic feet (length x width x depth). The part that always confuses people is the depth part when calculating cubic feet. You have to convert the depth into a percentage of a foot. For instance, if you want the mulch to be 3" deep, you would multipy the length x width x .25. The reason you would use .25 is because 3" deeps equal to 1/4 of a foot. If you wanted 6" deep, you would multipy LxWx.50. This will give you the amount of cubic feet needed. Then to figure out how many cubic yards you need, you divide the cubic feet number by 27. The reason you use 27 is because there are 27 cubic feet in a yard.