1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Whats your hours like?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Oct 15, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Curious.....what hours are some of you carrying?

We used to work real late, which I really don't care, but just ran myself about dead and did not have time for anything, at all. Eat, sleep and poop was all there was outside of working.

We start at 7am and usually finish around 4-5pm. If need be, later or start earlier.
  2. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Today on site from 8-6. Definately varies everyday for me but average for my guys.
  3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

At the shop by 6:45am, out the door by 7:15am, usually back home by 6:30pm unless I have a heavy estimate load, work in the office until 8:30pm or so. My guys work 7am to 4pm.

4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

we were all doing 7am-8pm in the field from march till Aug. Slower now, 7-4 is a good day.
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We either do 7-5 or 8-6 mon-fri with the occasional 12hr day in there for rain or unseen problems on a job. We used to work 12hrs a day everyday, but you will soon see you can't do that all the time nor will you care to either. If you can't pull off your tasks in a 40-50hr week and be profitable working those hours, I would say you are understaffed IMO.
  6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to have my guys work as little OT as possible because it kill the bottom line of a job. In a pinch we will do whatever it takes to get the job done, but all my jobs are bid at straight time.

7. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

We used to do 10-12hr days 6 days a week, it was crazy. now we work 7-4 five days a week and maybe saturdays when we are real busy. i realized that you can only get a good 8 hours out of your guys, especially in the summer. after that things start to drag. it makes more sense to hire more guys when you need them then to kill your guys trying to produce. not to mention your home life will suffer as well as your employees
  8. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

The first few years we ran long hours and weekends. In the spring I would go two months without a day off, now we try to keep everyone under fifty hours. We will work saturdays if we really need to get a job done. McKee is right, after eight hours guys are just collecting money, not really efficient.
  9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

When we work local we will do 7-5.

Now for about 12-13 weeks we are working 45 miles away. Traffic is a major inconvience. We leave 6am at the latest to head down and work till about 245 and then head home.
  10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you should get a motel and work later, man thats a short day.

Myself I'm out the door at 6am at the shop 6 thirty, work til 5 then home to eat and out to karate, boys usually put in 50 hours a week.