What's Your Minimum Charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBrother, Oct 7, 2006.

What's Your Minimum Service Charge?

1. No Minimum

5 vote(s)
  2. $35 or less

55 vote(s)
  3. $36-45

17 vote(s)
  4. $46-55

1 vote(s)
  5. More than $55

1 vote(s)
  1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Many service companies have a minimum service charge, i.e. if you call a heating/air company they may charge $50 to send a tech out. Where is the lawn/landscape industry fit in regarding minimum service charges? Please share your minimum charge and the reasons you chose that minimum.

I charge $30 minimum for grass and I will probably raise that next season to $35, because I want to weed out cheap skates and really small stuff. For existing customers I don't usually charge less than $25 for other-than-mowing work that can be done on the route, just because it seems like a fair price, no other reason really. Off-route work for existing customers is charged accordingly at my normal hourly rates, but not less than $55 to account for travel/etc. for making a special trip. For REALLY small stuff while mowing I usually don't charge, extras that take less than 5 minutes are just good service.
  2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, right now its $30.00. If I continue cutting next year it will be $35.00 also.
  3. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

$28.00 for the basic mow and go.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My minimum is $40.

Even when I was a kid and very first started driving way back in the day, I told myself I wouldn't even get out of the truck for less than $20... and I never have, no matter how small.

Over time I have increased mine on up by $5 increments to $40.
    Again, I don't care how small the job.

Financially, I have figured out you have to at least charge a 1/2 hr minimum ($30).
    Otherwise you can't come out by the time you factor everything in even if it's "on your way".
    By the time you unload, do the work, reload, deal with the customer, paperwork end...

But I raised mine on up to $40 to weed some out.
    The reason being is that now there are a lot of idiots out there that will mow anything almost for $20-$35. So you know how the phonecalls sometimes go... and when I was stating a starting point of $30 or $35, I got my time wasted going out to estimate these "oh it's not too much grass" only to get out there and find a normal size yard, up to a couple acres.

$40 puts it above everyone else right from the start, and $40 is above most folks "threshold of pain" by $5-$20... so now 9 out of 10 incoming calls ends at the phonecall.

It was something I had to do when gas increased and it has saved me a lot of gas money.
  5. anj

anj LawnSite Member

45 Is My Min.
  6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Min. is $20. Most of my accts though are $25/cut.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

8. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

$25.00 for Trailer Lots

$35.00 for House Lots.

It goes up from there.

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

2005-2006 $25 min
    07 $30 min & 08 will be $45 min
    & starting jan 07 i will only worh in house areas that are valued at $300,000+
  10. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

$42 for the first 4,000 square feet