1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what's your opinion of Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffy77, Feb 12, 2005.

1. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a zturn and I have narrowed it down to scag or a hustler. Most of my yards are on hills so thats something to consider. I want a 52" cut with enough power. Hustler has one for around $6,000 the engine is a 20hp honda engine. Scag has one for $8500 but has a 25hp kawi. The guy at hustler offered me a deal where I could get a 36 walkbehind and the 52 rider for $9000 before taxes. I have a 48walkbehing gravley that i am looking to do away with. Is anybody here have an honest review of their hustler mower. I know that they a big sponser here at lawnsite so i hope that doesnt influence any responses. please be honest.
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't own one, but I believe that hustler has some serious deck issues. they are making strides to solve them, but right now if I had my choice I would buy the scag.

the high price that the dealer charges here has turned me off to them. what he is asking totally outragious (I.E. $5,000 for a 52" fastrac).
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler is a great company with a great product. If I didn't run eXmarks, Hustler would be the only other mower I would consider.
  4. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

We need more info on the Hustlers, i.e. model numbers. It sounds price wise, that you're comparing apples to organs, I mean orages (screw it) If he is selling you a 52 in 20 hp fastrac and a 37 wb that is too much money! If you mow a lot, I wouldn't recommend the fastrac. Atleast get the mini z or better yet, the super mini z with the 24 hp honda. Hustlers are good mowers. I have a lot of experience with them. If the dealer is ok, you can't go wrong with the Hustler! :)

5. slow release

slow release LawnSite Member

I think the magazine is better than the mower!! :laugh:
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

7. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a hustler baby....I just want you to know :cool:
  8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread is about a mower?! Man...get my hopes up!
  9. zamboni

zamboni LawnSite Member

They are overbuilt thus expensive. From what I understand they're not really good for bagging, but that may be OK with you. If I had cutting crews that made me nervous about not properly caring for my equiptment, then I would go with Hustler. I researched the product here and demoed it. The mini z was great, but man was it big, way too much overkill. This is just MHO. Try a Scag or Exmark. I bought a Walker, but the other two are also great mowers. Cheers, John.
  10. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler and Scag both build heavy-duty mowers that will last a very long time.
    I was planning on buying a Scag walk-behind until I ran the Hustler H-bar. Then I realized I almost made a big mistake.
    I know they both do very well on hills, (Super Z vs. The Turf Tiger) and they both have a great cut when set-up right.
    If I were in the market for a new Z, and it was between these two I would have to go with the Super Z because its faster, I can get one a lot cheaper than I can get the Turf Tiger for.
    If your also looking for a walk-behind- no one has a better built, or as easy to operate than Hustler. For walk-behinds Hustler wins hands down compared to any company. Of course this is my opinion, and you will find the majority of Super walk-behind owners feel this way.