whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Apr 26, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

got a call from a very good customer saying that her mulch guy said we need to shoot the grass away from the mulch because it causes weeds to grow in the mulch. any truth to his statement? thanks.

randy

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Weeds will eventually grow in mulch regardless of clippings or not.

Maybe the customer needs to verify the "mulch guy" put down a weed barrier like he is supposed to.:usflag:

3. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

Its reason enough to shoot the grass away from the mulch because IT LOOKS BETTER.

4. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like mulch guy didn't use pre-emergent granules on top of the mulch. Most customers don't like clippings in their mulch beds, we've found. Sell the customer on installing daylillies, liriope or some ivy groundcover in the mulch beds so they never need mulch again, once these hardy perennials take root.

Shoot your clippings anywhere that works, that's what a good blower is for - to clean it all up after the mow and trim. Wet clippings of longer lengths are harder to get out of the beds without a rake, so that may be worth considering where you shoot clippings.

It's gotta be like 4+ inches of a hardy warm season grass clippings to take root in mulch that stays constantly soaked, for it to be a concern. Most mulch beds get invaded by grasses from roots taking hold because no dug edge or edging was installed first, and the mulch was just dumped into place.

5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I suppose one could debate that the grass, over time, could compost and along with the mulch, support some weed growth. I always try and bow out the beds as much as possible.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would say there could be grass and weed seeds in the cut grass that could very well do that.Why would you mess up somebodies nice mulch job by blowing grass all over it anyway.When you blow it out..some of the mulch will be blown out too.

7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you be shooting the gras into the mulch beds in the first place? :rolleyes: :confused:

8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

sometimes you can't help it when they have well over 100 yards of it down.. its not like i'm trying to spray grass in it. i'm just asking if weeds grow from grass clippings.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

the answer is "yes'

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the answer is YES!