Whats your opions on Gabions for retaining walls?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Axl1969, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Axl1969

Axl1969 LawnSite Member

Hi Guys and Girls (maybe)

Whats your take on the use of gabions being used for retaining walling. Is it possible to get technicle data on them as regards to support, weight, load etc.

regards Axl

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

What is a gabion?

3. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Axl- An engineer is required for this type of work. Structural data needs to be recovered from the specific jobsite, not a website please.

Shovel> Most typical application is erosion control. here is some info gabions.net/

4. shovelracer

I see. Guess I could have googled it all the same. Ive seen them many times. Dont know much about them, but just assumed it was the cheap way out of building really big walls. Actually yesterday I was driving by one and was wondering what happens once the cage corrodes. Thanks for the info

5. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

A nightmare.

You obviously need special equipment to maneuver them, and let me see if I remember this, you have to untie these wires and link them up to the other units to link them.

Very labor and equipment intensive, and they look like shite, IMHO.

6. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

They don't corrode. They're not made from coat hanger wire! They are a gravity wall. You need to hand fill them with rip rap. We have them all along Rt 287 in North NJ. The D.O.T wouldn't have spec'd them if they were short lived.

7. shovelracer

are they filled on the ground then lifted, or cage placed then someone filling on the wall?

8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You assemble them right where you want them. I've seen them filled with smaller rip rap by bucketloader, but when using large rip rap (6-8") you need to do it by hand.

9. Axl1969

Axl1969 LawnSite Member

Hi

This would not be a place to get tech data, i was just asking is it possible! I am not trying to get tech data for a contract or site.

I live in both UK Cotswolds and Spain in both areas there are lots of dry stone method without the use of cement. In UK in some areas i have seen these gabions being used. The wire cages are made from galvenised wire and are normally placd in situation and filled by hand. Larger sites i have seen them being moved by machinery Normally they are faced so the stone also looks nice and not just dump filled. If the stone is lying around close by, ie Spain its all over the place surely this way would be a quick, cost effective way of retaining.

regards Pete

10. Axl1969

Axl1969 LawnSite Member

Whats rip rap? Is that stone