Whats your price on 2.8 acres

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BLC1, Apr 25, 2010.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

2.8 acres that has finish grade. Needs to be run over with rock hound or something similar. Wide open area and will be seeded and strawed. What do you charge for a larger job like this.

2. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

personally I am not a fan of straw or blankets, I like to use encap lawn starter.......it holds water really good, provides starter fertilizer, and speeds up the germination process. 1 bag covers 3k on the high end and it doesnt have any weed seeds like straw does.

How bad are the rocks? I would venture to say that you could effectivily rockhound it if it isnt bad in like 2-2.5 hours. I dont know what your area is, but by me we use 5lbs/k new install so thats 610lbs of seed. I probably would get a discount on the amount of bags (mine are 25lb bags.)

You would probably be better off, using a power seeder on the front of your skid steer to do it quicker. Id put down 2.5lbs NS and then rake it in, and then 2.5lbs EW and rake that in. Go over the top of it with the lawn starter (flows through a spreader) While the guy is planting with the skid steer have a 2 other guys using the back of a leaf rake to mix the seed into the topsoil, and do it both ways (better coverage and less missed spots)

Id be at probably 18 man hours labor ($720) probably about 5 or 6 loader hours ($465) Seed with lawn starter ($2590) and material haul off/disposal ($50). Id bid it anywhere from 3700-3900.

3. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

Straw?

LOL

What for?

I'd do a job like that myself for 200 dollars per thousand or roughly 20,000 dollars.

Take 2 days.

4. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

Good grief man. That's dirt cheap.

5. yep it might be cheap, but he wouldn't be laughed out of the place, as with your price.

6. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

You have to remember, no topsoil, no grading nothing. Its basically just seed work if you would read the post and question.

Couple hours to rock hound it, if it isnt really bad. Then if you dont want to use the loader to seed, two guys with push spreaders, and two guys with rakes. Take about 1 hour to spread the first pass of seed. Then everyone finishes raking the pass in, then go the other direction. So your talking like 2-2.5 hours to seed by spreader........Then while the other guys are loading up the equipment, two guys with spreader spread the lawn starter............probably about 1 hour of work for that and your done. You could be in and out of there 5-6 hours tops with 4 guys

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If it is already pretty flat and open I would be somewhere around $4,000 to $5,000.

That would include Harley Raking twice, rock/debris removal, primary seeding TTTF at 8#/k, starter fert and straw blown on.

If there wasn't a lot of stone and is as open as you say I would easily have it done in about 5-6 hours with 3 guys!

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

How do you justify 20 grand...and why 2 days?

My cost including man hours and equipment is under $2000!

9. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I just seeded a 2 acre job this week for $ 4500.00. Usually I get $ 2000.00 an acre for seeding (hydroseeding not that it matters). I had a little more travel time in that one and it was hard to get into so I upped my price a bit. I would think with the rockhounding about 5-6 grand would be about right. I have another 16 acre job I am doing at $ 1950 an acre. I do have a good profit built in and could do it for less but am busy enough that I don't feel like working cheap. You need to make money on what you do.

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The key to doing these jobs cheap and effeciently is having the equipment and people to do it right...and to get in and GET out asap.

When a customer asks why I charge so much for seeding...I tell them that when I pull up I will have 40 grand in equipment and get it done in half the time of anyone else and usually I am priced exactly where I need to be!

If I am going up against a guy with a rototiller.... :)