What's your Reason?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BCFLawnLandscape, Apr 16, 2006.

1. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I guess everyone has a reason for starting in the lawn care biz, my question to everyone out there is why did you start your biz? Is it because you like the outdoors? its an easy way to make $? Let us know!!!!!!!

2. Derek9D

Derek9D LawnSite Member

If it was easy evrybody would be doing it...wait everyone is doing it...that dont mean its easy.

3. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

To work for myself. I was in the golf course business for seven years and was fired for no reason other that political. A bunch of business men with big egos that thought they knew how to run a golf course, but were making stupid decisions day in and day out. It was amazing these guys were running multi-million dollar businesses, but when they got in the board room at the clubhouse their business sense seemed to leave them. More family time also, with creeping bentgrass greens in Arkansas you have to be at the course sun up to sun down, it was taking a toll on my family. I know I still have to put in long hours, but if I want to take a four day weekend I don't have to explain my reasons to a green committee, just make sure all my bases are covered here. The final reason is that I wanted to move closer to family. Luckily they live in one of the fastest growing regions in the country, this made the decision to start my own very easy.

4. shamus78

shamus78 LawnSite Member

i am a law enforcement officer full time and get out to do custom work and cut lawns 4 days a week it is not at all easy. i do like the outdoors and take pride in my work i like driving by the house that me and my crew did and i can say the neiborhood looks good cause of the pride. that is why i love the work. cant forget the money

5. grassmasterdawn

grassmasterdawn LawnSite Member

Well, my number one reason for doing it is flexible scheduling - I have to work in my mowing around a full-time and a part-time job. But the outdoors and the farmer's tan are great perks too!

6. realtree27

realtree27 LawnSite Member
    from harrah

I just want to have more time to hunt during the winter!!!

7. fyshstykr

fyshstykr LawnSite Member
    from zone 99

I like working outside and enjoy lawncare, working for myself is a big plus. I worked for a large corporation for 20 years with rotating 12 hour shifts(every 6 days the shift would change from 7am-7pm to 7pm-7am with a 3 on 3 off rotation, while this did allow for decent time off your body could never catch up.):sleeping: :dizzy: :sleeping: :dizzy: :sleeping: :dizzy: :sleeping:
    Also the politics involved in the corporate world became very old.(conform or get the hell out!!!!) and lets just say I won't kiss anybody's ass, especially people that have made a career out of doing just that!!!!!. the fact that my wife does "extremely" well in her career makes this job of mine that much easier, not to say it is easy but you know what I am saying. anyway I am very happy doing this.:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
    Also I am able to work M-Th and take 3 day weekends with my wife.
    fysh.:drinkup:

8. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I have always loved the type of work in the Green industry. Never knew much about the money aspect of it though. I am only 25, but have put in almost 8 years in assembly manufacturing, the last 4 1/2 in management in an auto manufacturing plant. The stress is killing me. Everyone says "you have moved in the company and are only 25, think how high up you will be in 20 years, the huge pension and benefit plan you will have" In reality I will die of heart attack from the stress of it and never get that huge pension they hang over everyone's head to keep them there. I hae two daughters age 6 and 5. They are my world. I work a 2 week swing shift. Being in management means I get to average 50 -55 hrs a week. Sometimes I leave the house at 2pm and get back home around 5:30am. It just sucks. Anyway, started researching the Green industry and really got to thinking I could make this work. Part time for a year or so, then I will owe for my house and nothing else. Sorry so long, like said before, I love to ride by a property I did and smile at the fine craftsmanship I created with the natures of God.

9. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Same here, being a sinle dad of 3, the flexible scheduling was the main intrest. I also like being outside.

10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I like working outdoors. I got tired of sitting behined a desk.